Head of Marketing
San Francisco /
General and Administrative – Marketing /
A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded seven years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Cirque du Soleil, Shopify, and Eventbrite rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us and up-level our impact in the market.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage and we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” and people-first culture.
Finding amazing talent is consistently one of the biggest challenges companies point to for successfully growing their business. Lever has a track record of helping our customers do exactly this — elevating talent leaders by offering them the reach of a marker, the forecast of a sales leader, and the insight of a finance leader. Even in the unusual times we currently find ourselves in, Lever benefits from being a system of record for a critical business function and the best way to proactively maintain relationships with talent.
We have over 2,500 customers today, but we know that many more companies can benefit from using Lever to either continue to grow their teams or to weather the economic storm caused by COVID-19. As the head of our marketing function and an Executive team member, you will lead the charge on defining and executing creative strategies that help us massively grow our core segments. You will use data to identify the most impactful levers (no pun intended) to pull; partner closely with leaders from Sales, Customer Experience and Solutions, Finance, and others; and lead your team to execute brilliantly and measure success ruthlessly.
We’re looking for a leader with experience across all marketing verticals. This role will require you to play on all levels — from engaging with the executive team on high-level strategy, to rolling up your sleeves and working in the trenches with your team; from crafting effective messaging to approaching everything you and your team do from a data-driven angle. If wearing many hats is not only feasible but exciting to you, we’d love to chat!
This is a fantastic opportunity to coach, develop, and up-level our Marketing team to be the best in the industry across all areas of marketing. We’re looking for someone who can motivate and lead the team to execute strategic and creative marketing tactics, measure results and iterate quickly, deliver a huge impact on the business and the market, and raise the bar on how a high-performing team operates.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL
- Meet with key stakeholders from Sales, Customer Experience and Solutions, Finance, and other teams to get a better understanding of our industry, competitors, business, OKRs, and differentiators, and where Marketing fits in, with a particular focus on our mid-market segments, so that you can design marketing strategies that align with top business priorities and market opportunities.
- Meet with Product, Engineering, and Customer Experience and Solutions to learn more about our product and product roadmap to gain a better understanding of where we stand out and what’s ahead of us, so that you can identify the best ways for us to differentiate ourselves in the market.
- Conduct 1:1s with your team to learn more about each person’s strengths and interests and learn more about what’s worked and didn’t work (and why) in the past with our Marketing efforts, so that you can map out marketing strategies and leverage your team in ways that are most likely to succeed.
- Complete interviews with at least 5 mid-sized customers to learn more about their experience with Lever, build rapport, and collect content for materials that customer-facing teams can use to drive revenue.
- Put together competitive analysis based on your own research and speaking with key stakeholders across the company, and share the analysis results with your team, the executive team, and cross-functional org leaders.
- Partner with the CEO and other organizational leaders to create v1 of a strategy and plan for growing organic lead flow, taking into account the nuances of the current economy and what you’ve learned about our business, product, opportunities, and market. Your plan should include specific tactics for making sure Lever stands out among our competitors in front of customers and potential buyers. You should also include concrete ways to track and measure success in each phase of your plan.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL
- Socialize your strategy and plan with cross-functional stakeholders and incorporate input.
- Begin executing phase 1 of your plan with your team. Measure results on a daily/weekly basis; share out results with the executive team, your key stakeholders, and the broader company; and iterate.
- Lead your team in revamping our website and blog to include more content that’s relevant to our user base, with the goal of driving more traffic, engagement, and leads.
- Pilot new marketing channels based on data and intel. Measure, share, and act on results.
- Partner with Sales Enablement to equip all customer-facing teams with consistent messaging and supporting collateral.
- Evangelize Lever through speaking engagements, webinars, customer calls and analyst briefings.
- Produce a method and cadence for regularly reporting out on key metrics to the executive team and the company.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL
- Scale organic lead flow massively through implementing, tracking, and adjusting your strategy and plan.
- Based on results from your pilots, double down on channels that have performed well and scale back the rest.
- Be the foremost authority on our buyers and contribute to strategic product direction decisions at the executive level.
- Partner with account executives and customer success managers in closing, retaining, and upselling customers, by creating relevant materials, coaching reps, and joining customer calls where it makes sense.
- Be the foremost authority on the talent market, including Lever’s competitors, and build a marketing strategy for the next year.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.