Senior Backend Systems Engineer
Hello, Toronto! We are beyond excited to open our first office outside of San Francisco and are looking for the right people to join us in our new city.
A BIT ABOUT US
Lever was founded seven years ago to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Yelp, Cirque du Soleil, Shopify, and Eventbrite rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built so far (not to mention humbled to be recognized as the #1 place to work in San Francisco, as well as a top workplace in the entire United States.). Our people are Lever’s biggest competitive advantage: we’ll continue investing in our “Leveroos” by bringing our people-first culture to Toronto.
Lever is hiring Backend Systems Engineers to own and improve existing services as we continue to scale with increasing usage and increasingly large enterprise accounts. These roles will be an integral part of ensuring we are providing the best candidate and customer experience by anticipating performance bottlenecks, potential reliability and scalability issues across all Lever services and applications.
Lever’s engineering team is scaling quickly and we are establishing a new backend systems team in Toronto. We have a number of backend systems engineering roles we are hiring for - from mid level, up to staff level engineers.
As a backend systems engineer, you will work with both our infrastructure engineers and our product engineers to improve the overall performance, reliability and scalability of our systems. From prototyping a new asynchronous messaging service, to implementing more efficient real-time indexing pipeline from MongoDB into Elasticsearch, to evolving our open source distributed real-time application backend, you'll be involved in projects that span all aspects of the business.
You’ll join a team where everyone—including you—is striving to constantly improve their knowledge of infrastructure, systems, and cares about minimizing downtime. We are an incredibly supportive team–we love to pitch in when problems arise and give great peer feedback to help each other grow. We are passionate about lots of things--automation, friendly chat bots, creating a great hiring experience, and a great user experience--and we love sharing those passions with each other. You'll be a key driver of instilling these values in our new Toronto office and play a big role in helping grow the team.
Read about what our team values and why here.
THE TECH STACK
We’re looking for someone with some of the following skills and a strong desire to learn:
- Event relay and streaming: Kafka, RabbitMQ
- Performance benchmarking and diagnostic tools
- Monitoring, tracing, and profiling
- Experience bringing software to production at high scale
- The knack for writing, clean, readable, maintainable code
- An eye for automation and instrumentation
- The ability to decompose complex systems and find failure scenarios
- Public cloud platforms (AWS, Google Cloud Platform, etc)
Read more about The Lever Tech Stack from our Software Engineer, Eric Hwang.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL
- Complete Lever’s new-hire training week (a.k.a. Ramp Camp), and learn what it means to build a powerful recruiting platform
- Ramp up on Lever’s engineering stack by pair-programming with your teammates and attending engineering training sessions designed and presented by your peers
- Complete your engineering starter project and deploy your first changes to production!
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Learn Lever’s technical stack and apply development patterns through your workImprove the reliability of our asynchronous job processing and messaging service by making it resilient to stuck and large tasks
- Let Lever gracefully handle MongoDB or redis downtime
- Engage in your first on-call rotation in Support Engineering to help diagnose and resolve production problems and customer issues
- Write internal documentation for your features and systems so other engineers and stakeholders are brought along with your decisions
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Design and prototype a replacement for our asynchronous job processing and messaging service, leveraging established frameworks as appropriate
- Implement more efficient real-time indexing pipeline from MongoDB into Elasticsearch
- Improve scalability of Lever's open source real-time database backend, ShareDB
- Work closely with product engineering to educate on best practices: how to write efficient database queries, patterns for more performant tasks, identify performance bottlenecks for large customer accounts (i.e. how to write Derby components performantly)
- Participate in interviewing and hiring, as a way to influence team growth and how our values inform our culture
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Individually contribute and lead teams to reliably ship full improvements to our backend services
- Define tools and standards for product engineering to measure performance impact of releases
- Drive service reliability by developing tooling that enables metric visibility using SLIs, SLOs, and SLAs
- Developing Production Readiness standards to ensure service reliability
- Help grow other engineers technically by mentoring, pairing and developing other learning opportunities
- Collaborate with engineering and product leadership to define priorities and set delivery goals
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies.
Under the hood, we're a technology company with a powerful open-source web framework: DerbyJS. It is the first and only open-source MVC framework that syncs all data via an Operational Transformation backend, using the same algorithm that powers Google Docs. DerbyJS is also uniquely optimized to render everything on the server as well as the client.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion. or learn more about what Lever Engineering is up to on the Engineering Blog.