Director, Strategic Planning and Analysis
General and Administrative
Lever was founded to tackle the most strategic challenge that companies face: how to recruit and hire top talent. We’re building the next generation of hiring software that companies like Netflix, Yelp, Cirque du Soleil, Shopify, and Eventbrite rely on to grow their teams. We've rethought the talent acquisition paradigm and are the innovation leaders in our space and looking for the right people to join us as we scale.
Lever’s Director of Strategic Planning and Analysis will play a key role in building the company’s long- and short-term strategic, operating, and financial plans. This leader will report to the CFO, and have direct working relationships with the CEO, CTO and all of our executive staff, in addition to building strong business partnerships with leaders all across Lever. In addition to planning, this person will drive improvements and efficiencies in how business decisions are made, and expected returns from those that require budgets. This person will have the opportunity to build out a team over time, comprised of Corporate FP&A and SP&A Partners that support functional leaders company wide.. Business processes such as budgeting, forecasting, management reporting, financial analyses, and ad hoc business case production will all fall under this leader’s remit, as well. This is an opportunity for a leader to build something truly special--a role that will have a massive strategic impact to a company poised to capture and dominate the Talent Acquisition market.
This is an opportunity for someone to build a new team from scratch and drive the team forward as it scales. This team is positioned perfectly to influence every leader across a growing, dynamic company - up through the CEO and Board of Directors. The work this person produces will directly impact Lever’s business strategy, operating model, financial plans, and value creation for shareholders. As we plan our next phases of growth, including continuing our global expansion, this leader will play a central role in building the necessary plans and forward-looking models to guide the company to reach these milestones and well beyond.
The Finance and Operations team under the CFO is comprised of outstanding and diverse talent. It possesses values of trust, customer success, and shareholder value. This group is widely respected across the company and perfectly positioned to create high leverage value. It is a high achieving, high performing, and strong culture team--that loves to serve, have fun, and add business value each and every day.
THE SKILL SET
- 8-10 years of experience in the areas of strategy, financial planning, budgeting, forecasting, reporting and analytics.
- Ideal backgrounds include investment banking, FP&A at a public company, and management consulting.
- Subject matter expertise in 3-statement financial modeling, annual planning, rolling forecasts, predictive analytics, and building deep and trusted business partnerships with leaders across the company is required.
- We want someone passionate about Lever, our value proposition to all existing and future customers, and helping a young, growing company make the right business and financial decisions on its path to going public.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU'LL
- Complete Ramp Camp, our comprehensive onboarding program designed to jumpstart Leveroos and get them to full productivity as quickly as possible, while gaining a broader understanding about how their role fits into the org, Lever’s product, mission, etc.
- Be given an overview of all standard Finance and Operations recurring activities, such as the month-end close, monthly business performance scorecard production, BvA’s, Forecasting, weekly Sales Deal Review calls, etc. and expectations will be set on your contributions to related work products.
- Be educated on our existing three-statement financial models, strategic and operating plan assumptions, and major ongoing investments and expected returns, to help provide context as you begin to engage more hands-on with future planning activities.
- Learn all the front and back-end systems we use today - such as Salesforce, Marketo, Netsuite, etc - to access data necessary to produce management reporting, go-to-market analytics, executive staff scorecards and other planning and forecasting responsibilities.
- Conduct one-on-ones with every executive staff member - and learn about the functions they serve, how they manage their businesses and what a successful partnership model looks like with SP&A.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Produce core executive-level dashboards and management scorecards, critical to helping leaders make important short-term weekly and monthly business decisions based on actionable data insights.
- Prepare for the company’s Annual Planning process by owning the building out financial planning calendars, business case and budget templates, executive level reporting, etc.
- Prepare presentation materials for Board meetings; this includes partnering closely with executives such as our CEO, COO, CTO as well as SME’s across Lever to ensure accurate data, business decision rationale and slide content.
- Meet every direct report of each executive, broadening your perspective on ‘how things work’ at Lever, and who exactly to go to when you have specific questions.
- Meet other key decision-support business partners across Lever, including Sales and Marketing Operations, Accounting, Recruiting, People Operations, Strategic Partnerships, etc - and learn their operating procedures, process calendars and dependencies on your work products. These relationships will be critical to informing the business and financial plans you and your team will be responsible for producing, in partnership with functional leaders.
- Begin producing quarterly BvA and QBR content, with specific call-to-actions to ensure key take-aways from the meeting discussions are documented and assigned to owners for follow-up.
- Complete Lever’s interview training and begin recruiting for your own team.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Add to Lever’s existing set of KPI’s - going into more depth to drive even more actionable insights across the company, including unit cost economics, CLTV, SaaS benchmarking to help us ensure our performance remains on-track in areas such as sales and marketing efficiency, gross margin and Net retention.
- Build a framework of foundation knowledge of every business partner across the company, in order to find answers with confidence and understand how to access good and high quality data necessary to do your job.
- Have completed your first Annual Planning process (by early Feb), including a robust three-year Financial plan, built on in-depth operating assumptions.
- Have evolved every financial and operating model you inherited on Day 1, to reflect your preferred level of depth, automation and flexibility.
- Have hired 1-2 members on your team, and ramped them on their baseline responsibilities.
WITHIN 12 MONTHS, YOU'LL
- Have a fully resourced and ramped staff, built to help Lever execute to its one and three-year strategic plans and budgets.
- Have begun implementing more modern systems and tools to enable higher productivity for you and your team, while also improving speed to critical data and data insights, as well as high data and reporting quality.
- Have built a working relationship with every Director on our Board, reporting out business performance results on a recurring basis and also responding to ad hoc requests for additional information, analyses and/or scenario planning. You will on occasion attend Board meetings as well depending on the specific nature of the topics being discussed.
- Have established a smooth Annual Planning process, Quarterly Forecasting process, and recurring management reporting and actionable insights operating cadence.
- Have presented multiple times at company all-hands gatherings, on a variety of topics including strategic planning, business performance against KPI targets, and what the company can do to improve execution.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
THE LEVER STORY
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.