Senior Research Scientist - Algorithms
Engineering – Data Science /
Deliveroo delivers food to hungry customers in 12 countries and over 100 cities. To ensure our continued success and international growth, we seek experienced researchers to join our interdisciplinary team whose members come from fields such as computer vision, operations research, psychology, cognitive neuroscience, behavioural economics, econometrics, physics, and civil engineering.
Senior Research Scientists at Deliveroo are specialists in advanced experimentation and data analysis techniques. You will have massive impact by driving forward our experiment design and analysis practices, and also by quickly and confidently finding actionable, business-relevant stories in rich experiment data.
As a Senior Research Scientist at Deliveroo, you will:
- Bring a combination of scientific rigour, entrepreneurial thinking, and a hunger to design and analyse experiments that tell actionable stories with data
- Drive our experiment design forward, finding faster, more sensitive, more interpretable designs and analyses
- Be creative and pragmatic in identifying and quantifying opportunities for big impact across our business
- Translate important but vague questions into testable hypotheses and then actionable answers
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, user researchers, designers, and data scientists
- Collaboratively take us down a path to high-quality automated experiment reporting and automation
Some examples of the problems you might tackle in your new role:
- How can we run routing algorithm experiments more rapidly, given that metrics that we care about are network statistics?
- How can we run experiments on rider incentives, given that riders participate in complex social networks?
- Generally, how can we run fast, interpretable experiments when we have a lot of data but complex correlation structures make standard A/B designs unusable?
- A new algorithm might launch and perform well in all countries except 1, and you would tell the story of why that happened
- PhD in statistics, psychology, neuroscience, econometrics, economics, or other field focusing intensively on statistically rigorous experiment design and analysis
- Entrepreneurial attitude: you care about impact and are constantly seeking the necessary conversations to ensure that you are doing the right data analysis at the right time. You see your job as making that impact, not completing tasks
- Deep expertise in experimentation, including strong grasp of concepts such as hypothesis testing and standard design and analysis techniques
- Ability to rapidly break complex questions into simple, testable hypotheses
- Ability to communicate the results of a complex analysis in a way that makes it understandable to a non-technical audience
- 5+ years of research or industry experience
- Top-notch kit. We'll get you a shiny new Macbook, big monitor and everything else you need
- Eat great food
- Tech and food events with the team
- Subsidised gym membership. Probably important in a food company!
- Swag! You'd better like kangaroos though...
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.
Lever builds modern recruiting software for teams to source, interview, and hire top talent. Our team strives to set a new bar for enterprise software with modern, well-designed, real-time apps. We participated in Y Combinator in summer 2012, and since then have raised $73 million. As the applicant tracking system of choice for Netflix, Eventbrite, ClearSlide, change.org, and thousands more leading companies, Lever means you hire the best by hiring together.
Lever is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations and will work with you to meet your needs. If you are a person with a disability and require assistance during the application process, please don’t hesitate to reach out! We celebrate our inclusive work environment and welcome members of all backgrounds and perspectives. Learn more about our team culture and commitment to diversity and inclusion.