Software Engineering Manager
Edmond, OK /
YouVersion – YouVersion Engineering /
The YouVersion Software Engineer Manager is primarily responsible for managing the daily operations for the engineering team in collaboration with the Central Team Leader of Engineering.
YouVersion was created by the local church in 2007 and remains a ministry of Life.Church today. At Life.Church, our mission is to lead people to become fully devoted followers of Christ. Our team is committed to reaching people worldwide through innovative technology. And YouVersion is one of the ways we get to do that. Life.Church is a multi-site Christian church meeting in the United States and globally at Life.Church Online.
We wholeheartedly believe a daily rhythm of seeking intimacy with God has the power to transform lives. That’s why YouVersion creates biblically-based experiences that encourage and challenge people to seek God. We hope everyone in our community is on an active journey to become who God made them to be, abiding in Him, and drawing closer every day.
The YouVersion Software Engineer Manager will lead the team through the engineering process, provide technical foresight for the team’s strategy to ensure efforts are aligned with the overall YouVersion strategy.
What You'll Do
- Provide support for direct reports through coaching and setting expectations.
- Create development plans for the team and assist them in achieving desired goals.
- Collaborate with the Central Team Leader of Engineering to develop and cast vision for the team.
- Partner with the Central Team Leader of Engineering to manage the hiring of engineering staff.
- Support engineers to lead meetings to develop project strategy and priorities and to communicate progress.
- Monitor sprints to ensure defined goals and objectives are being set and achieved timely.
- Ensure the team is adding value to the YouVersion product and end‐user experience through each sprint.
- Provide technical foresight for the team and identify areas of improvement.
- Maintain the technical roadmap for the team to ensure efforts align with the overall YouVersion strategy.
- Responsibly manage “technical debt” among various teams and platforms.
- Manage costs in connection to performance gains to ensure stewardship.
- Provide technical support on higher-level projects.
Skills Needed to Succeed
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills to foster relationships and partnerships.
- Ability to self‐motivate, make independent decisions, and solve problems.
- Maintain flexibility and initiate the creation of new processes and project strategies.
- Ability to manage conflict and differing opinions while maintaining composure.
- Strong leadership skills and understanding of developing and guiding others.
- Ability to take a great vision and turn it into reality through strategic execution.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field is preferred.
- 3‐5 years of related work experience.
- Senior engineering skill set required.
Benefits We Offer
- Paid parental leave, including maternity, paternity, and adoption leave.
- Generous employer-paid leave for the use of vacation, sick time, and other qualifying reasons.
- Innovative and comprehensive Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance that provides team members with useful resources and savings to navigate their holistic health.
- Life insurance policy provided for all staff members at 2x annual salary at no cost. Additional life insurance coverage is available to purchase.
- Short-Term and Long-Term disability covered at 100% for full-time qualified staff members.
- Comprehensive wellness and mental health benefits allow staff to proactively invest in their physical and emotional health.
- Generous 401(k) retirement plan allowing a team member to have up to 12.5% (including employee contribution, employer match, and employer discretionary contribution) contributed into their account in their first year. It doesn’t stop there—the more years on staff, the greater the investment!
- $160 annually in development dollars for team members to invest in their professional growth.
- Casual dress and work environment.
- Flexible work schedule.
- And much more!
Please include a portfolio or a link to your past work in development/engineering when submitting your application. (optional)
Our Beliefs, Culture, and Commitment to Diversity
At Life.Church, every staff member, and intern is a minister and is expected to engage in the church's ministry fully. We consider ministry readiness and an individual’s capacity to represent Life.Church’s beliefs as a minister during the selection process for all staff and intern positions. An essential function within every position held by a staff member or intern at Life.Church is to uphold and represent the beliefs of Life.Church. Learn more about what we believe at Life.Church.
While we unite around our mission, we know unity doesn’t mean uniformity. Our calling is too great, and our mission is too important not to be intentional about strengthening our team through diversity. We know that diverse perspectives in race, ethnicity, background, age, and gender are essential to reaching the world for Christ. To learn more about how we strengthen our team through diversity, visit our careers page.
All data collected in our application process, from resume collection to application questions, is used for recruitment purposes only.