Senior Data Engineer (Remote)
Toronto, Ontario / Vancouver, BC / Halifax, NS / Calgary, AB / Edmonton, AB / Fredericton, NB
Internal – Data /
Full Time /
Lightci (Light Consulting) is a full-service engineering & talent solution created for engineers, by engineers.
We build and ship products for clients like Google, Meta, Brex, and Walmart - and help Fortune 500 companies grow by way of full team construction, staff augmentation, executive search, and tailored recruitment to address unique hiring needs.
Visit lightci.com to learn more.
As a Senior Data Engineer consulting with our client in the EdTech space, you’ll play a pivotal role in building the data infrastructure for an educational product that impacts over 60,000 students. You’ll pioneer the centralization and normalization of data from third-party applications, ensuring that our client’s platform remains at the forefront of delivering high-quality educational experiences.
- In this hands-on role, you’ll build the architecture, and models [for what the data will look like] within the first 1-2 weeks
- You’ll take ownership of the ETL process for 3rd party data, automating as much as possible to enhance efficiency and reduce manual intervention
- You will lead the effort to standardize data formats and structures, making it easier to analyze and derive valuable insights
- Utilize your expertise in data transformation techniques to enrich raw data, making it more accessible and valuable for analytics and reporting purposes
- Continuously monitor data pipelines and proactively address performance bottlenecks
- Work closely with data scientists, analysts, and other stakeholders to understand their data requirements and assist in building data solutions that cater to their needs
- Familiarity with Big Data technologies like Apache Hadoop, Apache Spark, and their respective ecosystems
- Experience in building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures, and data sets
- Ability to create data models and have knowledge of normalization and denormalization techniques
- Expertise in working with relational databases (e.g., PostgreSQL, MySQL) and NoSQL databases (e.g., MongoDB, Cassandra)
- Experience with ETL (extract, transform, load) processes, and tools like Apache NiFi, Talend, or Microsoft SSIS
- Proficiency in programming languages, particularly Python and Typescript to develop data processing scripts
Nice to have
- Backend engineering background, familiarity with Domain Driven Design
- Proficiency with Typescript
- Familiarity with TS Web frameworks like NestJS or Express
Perks & Benefits
- 100% fully remote work (anywhere in North America)
- Flexible hours
- Competitive compensation package
- Bonus or commission [depending on your role]
- Excellent benefits package
- Generous RRSP [or] 401k matching program
- Unlimited vacation
- Quarterly/Yearly team ‘offsite’ events
At Lightci, we are committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. We believe that diverse perspectives drive innovation and enrich our work environment. We welcome applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, and identities to join our team. By embracing a culture of inclusivity, we aim to create a space where every individual feels valued, respected, and empowered to contribute their best. Join us in our journey to create a more equitable future for all.