Motor & Electronic Controls Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Controls Engineering /
Lightship is the first American all-electric recreational vehicle manufacturer currently developing an aerodynamic, battery-powered trailer for the electric age. As the macro transition to an all-electric transportation ecosystem accelerates, Lightship is bringing the increased convenience and superior performance that electrification offers to a pastime enjoyed by over 11 million American families.
Honoring Diverse Perspectives
Lightship is committed to hiring and developing top talent from diverse backgrounds. We believe representing and supporting diverse groups is key to the success of our team members, customers, shareholders and the achievement of our mission and vision. We operate in a collaborative environment with a flat organizational structure and expect a high degree of integrity, autonomy and creativity from all members of the team.
San Francisco, CA/Boulder, CO
About the Role
Lightship’s mission to modernize and electrify RVs demands that we build a complex power system with robust software and flexible control. As a Controls Engineer, you are comfortable modeling, defining, and implementing control algorithms for electric motors and power electronics. You are scrappy and eager to be hands-on in a program’s early stages and willing to evolve as the program moves into production. You will work closely with the engineering team and help hasten our path to market with an exceptional vehicle that redefines RVing.
- Define motor, power electronic, and thermal control algorithms
- Model systems to prove stability and performance
- Work closely with hardware team to optimize system design
- Collaborate with team to define/select sensors and other hardware for controls
- Help develop control software for DSPs/FPGAs
- Develop and execute a test suite to ensure performance and reliability
- Contribute to dyno development and operation
- Support system testing via data analysis, troubleshooting, and debugging
- Support supplier management and requirements definition
Prior Experience & Professional Qualities
- BS, MS preferred, or above in electrical engineering, or related field
- Minimum 5 years experience developing control algorithms for power systems
- Proven experience in motor control and/or power electronic control systems
- Detailed knowledge of power converter topologies, modulation strategies, and sensor selection
- Knowledge of electric motor types and trade-offs between them
- Highly experienced in modeling/simulating dynamic systems
- Excellent knowledge of electrical schematics and control circuitry
- Understanding of DSPs and embedded systems
- Ability to program in C/C++
- Comfortable with high voltage and dynamometer test equipment
- You are self-directed and are motivated to design the best system possible
- You bring an entrepreneurial mindset to your work and are comfortable with uncertainty
Employee Benefits & Philosophy
- Healthcare, Dental, Vision (full time only)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off that we actually want you to use! 3 weeks is common at Lightship.
-12 weeks paid parental leave
- $2,000 per year towards an RV trip of your own, we call this a LightTrip (full time only)
Lightship offers all of its employees and their dependents full benefits including health, dental and vision insurance and covers 100% of the insurance premium. We are on a mission to create a more healthful all-electric experience for a pastime that millions of families enjoy and believe strongly that our team should not have to worry about quality healthcare for themselves or their loved ones along the way.