Senior Engineering Technician - Vehicle Systems
San Francisco, CA /
Vehicle Engineering /
Lightship is the first American all-electric recreational vehicle manufacturer currently developing an aerodynamic, battery-powered trailer for the electric age. As the macro transition to an all-electric transportation ecosystem accelerates, Lightship is bringing the increased convenience and superior performance that electrification offers to a pastime enjoyed by over 11 million American families.
Honoring Diverse Perspectives
Lightship is committed to hiring and developing top talent from diverse backgrounds. We believe representing and supporting diverse groups is key to the success of our team members, customers, shareholders and the achievement of our mission and vision. We operate in a collaborative environment with a flat organizational structure and expect a high degree of integrity, autonomy and creativity from all members of the team.
About the Role
Sr Technicians will work side by side with the vehicle systems engineers to help develop systems and subsystems which work flawlessly, and provide the best all electric camping experience possible. This includes working with suspension and braking systems, closures, glazing, interior and exterior cosmetic panels and, since this is an RV, even kitchen and bathroom systems.
This role is 100% onsite in San Francisco, CA.
- Maintain test assets (vehicles, bucks, mules and test rigs) and prepare them for testing, evaluation and demonstration. Travel (including occasional weekend travel) will be required for the first year.
- Fabricate evaluation bucks, prototype parts and build test fixtures
- Set up and run engineering experiments and tests, including functional tests, characterization tests, and field tests
- Support testing onsite and offsite (up to 20% travel).
- Assist with troubleshooting and failure analysis of components and subsystems
- Contribute to DFMEAs with the the engineering team
- Help with R&D workshop organization and maintenance (experience of operating in a 5S environment a plus)
- Support cross-functional workshop activities across Lightship as needed and wherever possible.
- Self-starter: able to see where help is needed, take the initiative, and contribute without being asked.
- Experience with whole vehicle prototype build and vehicle preparation for testing.
- Experience with data acquisition systems and Labview or other GUIs
- Experience instrumenting test articles with sensors such as strain gauges, accelerometers, thermocouples, electrical sensors, etc
- Experience with machine shop fabrication including lathe, mill, drill press, etc.
- Experience operating a 3d printer
- Welding and/or composites experience a strong plus
- Experience with power electronics, electrical wiring and switchgear a plus
- Experience with power electronics a plus
- Experience with electric motors and propulsion systems a plus
$35 - $45 an hour
Lightship compensation consists of the pay rate above plus equity.
Employee Benefits & Philosophy - Applies to Full Time
- Healthcare, Dental, Vision (full time only)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off that we actually want you to use! 3-4 weeks is common at Lightship.
-12 weeks paid parental leave
- $2,000 per year towards an RV trip of your own, we call this a LightTrip (full time only)
Lightship offers all of its employees and their dependents full benefits including health, dental and vision insurance and covers 100% of the insurance premium. We are on a mission to create a more healthful all-electric experience for a pastime that millions of families enjoy and believe strongly that our team should not have to worry about quality healthcare for themselves or their loved ones along the way.
Most roles at Lightship require onsite work from our offices Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, though some roles may require all days in office. Speak to the hiring manager to learn more.