Senior Software Engineer - Embedded Systems
San Francisco, CA /
Controls Engineering /
Lightship is the first American all-electric recreational vehicle manufacturer currently developing an aerodynamic, battery-powered trailer for the electric age. As the macro transition to an all-electric transportation ecosystem accelerates, Lightship is bringing the increased convenience and superior performance that electrification offers to a pastime enjoyed by over 11 million American families.
Honoring Diverse Perspectives
Lightship is committed to hiring and developing top talent from diverse backgrounds. We believe representing and supporting diverse groups is key to the success of our team members, customers, shareholders and the achievement of our mission and vision. We operate in a collaborative environment with a flat organizational structure and expect a high degree of integrity, autonomy and creativity from all members of the team.
San Francisco, CA/Boulder, CO
About the Role
Lightship’s mission to modernize and electrify RVs demands that we build a complex power system with robust software and flexible control. As a Sr. Software Engineer, you are comfortable architecting, developing, and testing embedded software that interacts with other components. You are scrappy and willing to be hands-on in a program’s early stages as well as mentor the growing team. You will work closely with the product and engineering teams and help hasten our path to market with an exceptional vehicle that redefines RVing.
- Define vehicle embedded systems software architecture
- Lead development of Lightship’s vehicle system controller software
- Collaborate with team to help select hardware for vehicle controls
- Define communication interfaces and requirements
- Help manage versions, check-ins, and tasks
- Review code, analyze stability, and manage bugs
- Develop and execute a software test suite to ensure reliability
- Optimize software by performing maintenance, updates, and upgrades
- Assess third party and open source software
- Keep up to date with relevant software standards and advancements in embedded system development
- Technical mentorship and guidance to growing team of software engineers
Prior Experience & Professional Qualities
- BS or above in computer science, electrical/computer engineering, or related field
- 7+ years experience developing software/firmware
- Proven experience in embedded systems software development, including preemptive, real-time architectures
- In-depth knowledge of CAN bus
- Extremely proficient coding in C/C++
- Knowledge of C compliant languages such as Java and Python
- In-depth knowledge of Linux operating systems
- Knowledge of bootloaders and kernels
- Experience deploying software across a variety of platforms
- Understanding of microprocessors and associated peripherals
- Ability to read schematics and component data sheets
- Basic understanding of electric power systems preferred
- You enjoy developing software and create value by solving problems
- You bring an entrepreneurial mindset to your work and are comfortable with uncertainty
Employee Benefits & Philosophy - Applies to Full Time
- Healthcare, Dental, Vision (full time only)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off that we actually want you to use! 3-4 weeks is common at Lightship.
-12 weeks paid parental leave
- $2,000 per year towards an RV trip of your own, we call this a LightTrip (full time only)
Lightship offers all of its employees and their dependents full benefits including health, dental and vision insurance and covers 100% of the insurance premium. We are on a mission to create a more healthful all-electric experience for a pastime that millions of families enjoy and believe strongly that our team should not have to worry about quality healthcare for themselves or their loved ones along the way.
Most roles at Lightship require onsite work from our offices Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday, though some roles may require all days in office. Speak to the hiring manager to learn more.