Staff HVAC Engineer
Boulder, CO /
Power Systems Engineering /
Lightship is the first American all-electric recreational vehicle manufacturer currently developing an aerodynamic, battery-powered trailer for the electric age. As the macro transition to an all-electric transportation ecosystem accelerates, Lightship is bringing the increased convenience and superior performance that electrification offers to a pastime enjoyed by over 11 million American families.
Honoring Diverse Perspectives
Lightship is committed to hiring and developing top talent from diverse backgrounds. We believe representing and supporting diverse groups is key to the success of our team members, customers, shareholders and the achievement of our mission and vision. We operate in a collaborative environment with a flat organizational structure and expect a high degree of integrity, autonomy and creativity from all members of the team.
About the Role
Lightship’s mission to modernize and electrify RVs demands that we build a high competency in cutting edge vehicle design and manufacturing. As our Staff HVAC engineer, you will be responsible for creating the system that heats and cools everything onboard the RV, including the interior cabin space and all power system modules. You will work hand in hand with the vehicle engineering and power systems teams to determine the heating and cooling needs of all components, and design active and passive systems to ensure the thermal needs are met in all conditions. You will collaborate across Product, Design, Engineering, and beyond to make shrewd architectural decisions that hasten our path to market with an exceptional vehicle that redefines RVing.
- Full product design responsibility and system level ownership from concept through production launch and ramp, with focus on HVAC and powertrain cooling systems
- Work with thermal mechanical design engineer to select and package all thermal system components, such as compressors, condensers, evaporators, pumps, fans, radiators, etc
- Collaborate with product team to help set functional requirements for HVAC and thermal management systems
- Work with power systems and vehicle teams to package all components on the interior and exterior of the RV cabin, including routing of refrigerant lines and coolant plumbing
- Create DFMEA for critical components and assemblies
- Work with engineering teams and techs to characterize thermal performance, and create lab test setups to verify
- Help to create DVP&R to ensure all engineering requirements are met
- Collaborate with integration and test teams to carry out design validation plan and ensure thermal performance of the various thermal system components
- Conduct detailed mechanical analysis of subsystems and components as needed to ensure we meet all functional, durability and longevity requirements
- Develop detailed mechanical specifications based on ambiguous product requirements. Support definition of validation plans and root cause analysis for test failures
- Understand interdependencies between vehicle, power system, and controls at all stages of development
- Technical mentorship and guidance to growing team of mechanical engineers
Prior Experience & Professional Qualities
- BS in Engineering (Mechanical Engineering preferred) or equivalent experience
- 10+ years of experience with thermal systems
- Experience in automotive or transportation industries (truck/bus/rail), preferred
- Experience with conjugate heat transfer CAE and CFD analyses preferred
- Knowledge in product development cycle: design, development, test, manufacturing
- Experience guiding decisions surrounding complex mechanical tradeoffs
- Experience creating complex CAD models and drawings with plastics and metal parts. Experience with CATIA and GD&T preferred
- Prioritization of mechanical design work based on effort and risk
Employee Benefits & Philosophy
- Healthcare, Dental, Vision (full time only)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off that we actually want you to use! 3 weeks is common at Lightship.
-12 weeks paid parental leave
- $2,000 per year towards an RV trip of your own, we call this a LightTrip (full time only)
Lightship offers all of its employees and their dependents full benefits including health, dental and vision insurance and covers 100% of the insurance premium. We are on a mission to create a more healthful all-electric experience for a pastime that millions of families enjoy and believe strongly that our team should not have to worry about quality healthcare for themselves or their loved ones along the way.