Staff Engineer - Vehicle Exteriors, Glazing and Closures
San Francisco, CA /
Vehicle Engineering /
Lightship is the first American all-electric recreational vehicle manufacturer currently developing an aerodynamic, battery-powered trailer for the electric age. As the macro transition to an all-electric transportation ecosystem accelerates, Lightship is bringing the increased convenience and superior performance that electrification offers to a pastime enjoyed by over 11 million American families.
Honoring Diverse Perspectives
Lightship is committed to hiring and developing top talent from diverse backgrounds. We believe representing and supporting diverse groups is key to the success of our team members, customers, shareholders and the achievement of our mission and vision. We operate in a collaborative environment with a flat organizational structure and expect a high degree of integrity, autonomy and creativity from all members of the team.
- Develop and execute mechanical design for vehicle exterior components, glazing and closures from conception through prototyping and production, selecting manufacturing technologies well matched to program volumes and in line with vehicle cost and performance targets.
- Develop and release design data and documentation to adequately specify subsystem content at RFQ, prototype and production release phases.
- Support selection of suppliers and act as primary contact for vehicle upper structure, glazing and closures component suppliers through the DFM, prototyping, and production readiness phases.
- Plan and carry out component and subsystem level testing to validate designs and identify opportunities for design improvement throughout the phases.
- Provide input into, and support the execution of system and vehicle level testing as needed.
Prior Experience & Professional Qualities
- BS engineering or similar (MS preferred)
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- Experience designing and engineering similar products, taking them from concept to production manufacturing, ideally in a lower volume environment.
- Prior experience in design and development of vehicle exterior components, actuated closure mechanisms and glazing while working with cutting-edge materials and construction methods.
- Experience with sustainable design and engineering practices preferred
- You are curious, fundamentals-oriented, and you question founding assumptions
- Collaborative mindset, dedication to excellence and thoroughness, clear communication style
- Solid working knowledge of a 3D CAD system, ideally Catia 3DX
$148,000 - $182,000 a year
Lightship compensation consists of an annual salary as well as equity.
Employee Benefits & Philosophy
- Healthcare, Dental, Vision (full time only)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off that we actually want you to use! 3-4 weeks is common at Lightship.
-12 weeks paid parental leave
- $2,000 per year towards an RV trip of your own, we call this a LightTrip (full time only)
Lightship offers all of its employees and their dependents full benefits including health, dental and vision insurance and covers 100% of the insurance premium. We are on a mission to create a more healthful all-electric experience for a pastime that millions of families enjoy and believe strongly that our team should not have to worry about quality healthcare for themselves or their loved ones along the way.