CMF Designer (Contract)
San Francisco, CA /
Lightship is the first American all-electric recreational vehicle manufacturer currently developing an aerodynamic, battery-powered trailer for the electric age. As the macro transition to an all-electric transportation ecosystem accelerates, Lightship is bringing the increased convenience and superior performance that electrification offers to a pastime enjoyed by over 11 million American families.
Honoring Diverse Perspectives
Lightship is committed to hiring and developing top talent from diverse backgrounds. We believe representing and supporting diverse groups is key to the success of our team members, customers, shareholders and the achievement of our mission and vision. We operate in a collaborative environment with a flat organizational structure and expect a high degree of integrity, autonomy and creativity from all members of the team.
About the Role
Lightship RV is seeking a talented and experienced CMF designer with 5 to 8 years of experience to join our team. As a CMF designer, you will play a key role in creating visually compelling and sustainable color, material, and finish solutions that represent the new generation of fully electric and solar-powered RVs. You will collaborate closely with the CMF lead, design team, and cross-functional engineering teams to develop solutions that meet the needs of our customers, while also considering environmental and sustainable requirements.
- Develop and execute color, material, and finish strategies for our fully electric and solar-powered RVs that meet aesthetic, performance, and sustainability requirements.
- Conduct research on sustainable materials and manufacturing processes to inform CMF decisions and design solutions that reduce environmental impact.
- Create and maintain a CMF library and database of sustainable materials, finishes, and manufacturing processes that align with Lightship RV's mission and values.
- Collaborate with the CMF lead to support the design team, weaving in and out of the development process.
- Excellent communication skills with cross-functional engineering teams to integrate CMF decisions into overall product design and development, and ensure that interiors and materials represent the new generation of RV’s.
- Communicate and present CMF concepts, ideas, and solutions to internal and external stakeholders, and provide guidance and support to ensure that sustainable materials are used throughout the RV manufacturing process.
- Stay up to date with industry trends, technology advancements, and best practices in CMF design and sustainable materials industries.
- 5-8 years of experience as a CMF designer with a focus on transportation.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, or a related field.
- Proficient in design software such as Adobe Creative Suite and 3D modeling software.
- Strong knowledge of sustainable materials and manufacturing processes.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and collaboration skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- A nimble Team player to collaborate with Design and contribute to this fantastic product.
- Please provide a link to your portfolio in your application. Only applications with portfolio links will be considered.
This is a contract role for 20-30 hours per week. San Francisco, CA office with hybrid ability to work from home.
Employee Benefits & Philosophy
- Healthcare, Dental, Vision (full time only)
- Unlimited Paid Time Off that we actually want you to use! 3-4 weeks is common at Lightship.
-12 weeks paid parental leave
- $2,000 per year towards an RV trip of your own, we call this a LightTrip (full time only)
Lightship offers all of its employees and their dependents full benefits including health, dental and vision insurance and covers 100% of the insurance premium. We are on a mission to create a more healthful all-electric experience for a pastime that millions of families enjoy and believe strongly that our team should not have to worry about quality healthcare for themselves or their loved ones along the way.