Senior Software Engineer, Data Platform
Engineering – Engineering /
Who we are
Lilt is a language translation services and technology company. We're building the next generation of localization, making it possible for every organization to communicate with their customers in the language of their choice through Lilt's high-quality, scalable, and affordable translation services.
We recruit the world's best human translators and equip them with our software, allowing them to translate better and faster than ever. By combining human expertise and machine efficiency in a complete enterprise localization solution, we can deliver technology-enabled translation services to our customers.
Lilt is backed by some of the world's leading investors including Sequoia Capital, Intel Capital, and Redpoint. Our customers include some of the largest Fortune 500 companies in the world who rely on Lilt every day to provide more personal customer experiences in 300+ languages.
Our team has hubs in the Bay Area, Indianapolis, Washington DC, Berlin, Dublin, and London.
Lilt is a high-performance, large-scale language translation system. We invest in and prioritize both workflow (i.e., usability and interface design) and backend NLP/AI systems. Since the translation workforce is distributed worldwide, there are interesting multi-region cloud engineering problems to solve. We have a strong preference for building our own AI technology, so you’ll be implementing and working with the latest techniques and ideas.
What you’ll do
In collaboration with the Engineering Manager and Engineering teams, the Senior Backend Engineer will be implementing and working on automating and improving Service Manager and Translator Service Manager efficiency. They will be helping to replace routine and monotonous tasks with automations. They will develop our back-end services, which perform large- and small-scale data processing tasks like automating assignment of the tasks to the translators, audits programs and other automation tasks.
This role will work remotely from Boston until such time as the Company establishes permanent office premises, at which time this role will be expected to work in the office in a hybrid capacity.
This position is not fully remote. If you are not located in the hub for the role, relocation is required prior to their start date and offer will be contingent on relocation. We do not offer relocation assistance.
Key responsibilities include:
- Design, build and improve scalable data systems that connect to many services.
- Implement new features to enable our Services team and increase the automation of the processes
- Raise the technical excellence bar higher contributing to code quality, doing code reviews, increasing test coverage, and establishing the best Engineering practices
- Mentor junior engineers on design, coding, troubleshooting and operational excellence
- Partner with product team and business owners to understand data requirements and to decompose requirements into concrete deliverables
Successful candidates will have:
- 4+ years of software development experience with one or more general purpose programming languages including, but not limited to, Java
- 2+ years of experience designing, implementing, and operating stable, scalable, low cost data systems
- Great problem solving abilities and passion technology
- Working proficiency in English
- Experience building and operating mission critical, highly available systems
- Experience with Big Data technology like Apache Hadoop, NoSQL, Presto, BigQuery, BigTable, etc
What we offer:
- Compensation: Competitive salary, meaningful equity, and 401k matching.
- Health care: Employees receive coverage of medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Monthly lifestyle benefit stipend via the Fringe platform to allow employees to customize benefits to their lifestyle
Authorization to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment.
Lilt is an equal opportunity employer. We extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to an individual’s race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics, veteran or marital status, pregnancy, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. We are committed to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.
All US employees are required to be vaccinated per Lilt's Company policy (some exceptions may apply)