Senior Software Engineering Manager, Data Platform
Engineering – Engineering /
Who we are
Lilt is a language translation services and technology company. We're building the next generation of localization, making it possible for every organization to communicate with their customers in the language of their choice through Lilt's high-quality, scalable, and affordable translation services.
We recruit the world's best human translators and equip them with our software, allowing them to translate better and faster than ever. By combining human expertise and machine efficiency in a complete enterprise localization solution, we can deliver technology-enabled translation services to our customers.
Lilt is backed by some of the world's leading investors including Sequoia Capital, Intel Capital, and Redpoint. Our customers include some of the largest Fortune 500 companies in the world who rely on Lilt every day to provide more personal customer experiences in 300+ languages.
Our team has hubs in the Bay Area, Indianapolis, Washington DC, Berlin, Dublin, and London.
Lilt is a high-performance, large-scale language translation system. We invest in and prioritize both workflow (i.e., usability and interface design) and backend NLP/AI systems. Since the translation workforce is distributed worldwide, there are interesting multi-region cloud engineering problems to solve. We have a strong preference for building our own AI technology, so you’ll be implementing and working with the latest techniques and ideas.
What you’ll do
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will identify, hire and build a world-class team of Software Engineers, Researchers, and Data Analysts to define, drive and execute on the creation of the next generation of Lilt’s data platform. You will develop a team of highly motivated and talented individuals that can influence decision making at every single level of the company: Product Management, Finance, Operations, Engineering, and Research. This is a high-visibility, high-impact role with enormous growth opportunities.
You must be curious, have attention to detail, be energized by a challenging entrepreneurial environment, be comfortable thinking big while also diving deep, and be open to experimenting, and iterating on processes as the company grows.
This position will be based out of our Indianapolis office and employees will be expected to come into the office in a hybrid capacity.
Key responsibilities include:
- Hire, develop, and lead a team of software engineers, researchers, and data analysts both supporting the current and designing the next generation of the data platform
- Evolve software development processes and guide the team to deliver high-quality software, dashboards, and reports on schedule
- Partner with stakeholders from Product, Finance, and Operations to understand data requirements and to decompose requirements into concrete deliverables
- Drive architectural, software quality, operational improvements across the team and the broader organization. Partner with internal stakeholders to determine and address root causes
- Work with technical contributors and engineering managers to set realistic and achievable goals and to manage expectations on what can and cannot be done; hold themselves and the team to those goals.
- Facilitate the team’s career development and give constructive, effective feedback on work product and communication
Successful candidates will have:
- BS or MS or PhD in a science or engineering discipline
- 2+ years of Manager of Managers or 4+ years of Engineering Manager experience
- 3+ years of experience architecting, designing, and scaling new and current systems
- Familiarity with Big Data technology like Apache Hadoop, NoSQL, Presto, BigQuery, BigTable, etc.
- Familiarity with data structures, algorithms, and object-oriented design
- Strong desire to master the product that you create and to understand the customer that uses the product.
- Ability to manage and execute projects through cross-functional collaboration and organizational influence
What we offer:
- Compensation: Competitive salary, meaningful equity, and 401k matching.
- Health care: Employees receive coverage of medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Monthly lifestyle benefit stipend via the Fringe platform to allow employees to customize benefits to their lifestyle
Authorization to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment.
Lilt is an equal opportunity employer. We extend equal opportunity to all individuals without regard to an individual’s race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic characteristics, veteran or marital status, pregnancy, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. We are committed to the principles of fair employment and the elimination of all discriminatory practices.
All US employees are required to be vaccinated per Lilt's Company policy (some exceptions may apply)