Wellness Specialist (Certified Massage Therapist)
United States /
Field Staff – Field Staff Shipboard (Contract Positions) /
WHO WE ARE
Lindblad Expeditions is the pioneer in the Expedition Travel space, from taking the first citizen explorers to Antarctica in 1966, to opening the Galapagos and Easter Island to tourism in 1967, to leading the first tourist expedition through the Northwest Passage in 1984, to launching our innovative partnership with National Geographic in 2004. Now taking nearly 25,000 guests per year to some of the world’s most remote and pristine locations on our fleet of 16 ships, we do whatever it takes to ensure our guests experience the “Exhilaration of Discovery”.
ABOUT THE ROLE:
This position works both with the field staff team onboard and a member of the hotel operations team for guest services. They report to the hotel manager for the wellness services and the expedition leader for the field staff responsibilities. It is essential that this person has excellent social skills as they will be expected to dine with guests and work in a multi-national environment, while living in close quarters.
- Acting as a gracious host to guests at all times.
- Developing and maintaining harmonious working relationships with staff and crew.
- Participating in onshore excursions including: Leading non-interpretive “aerobic” hikes. Leading other high level physical excursions (kayaking, swimming/snorkeling, biking, etc.) as coordinated with expedition leader and other staff members. Participating as staff member on guided tours and town excursions.
- Attending staff meetings.
- Producing share of Daily Expedition Reports.
- Assisting expedition leader with other staff activities as schedule permits.
- Follow Guidelines in Field Staff Handbook with respect to Lindblad Expeditions’ Guiding Principles, Staff Conduct and Shipboard Protocol.
- Eating meals with guests and making an effort to dine with a variety of people over the course of each voyage.
- Ambassador of Wellness – provide positive, grounding, balancing presence.
- Provide quality massages (deep tissue and relaxation), both full body and target areas, such as back/neck/shoulder and hand/foot, using safe techniques.
- Perform facial massage treatments, and body treatments on designated ships.
- Lead a daily exercise/movement session such as yoga, qigong, tai chi, Pilates, dance, etc.
- Promote and inform guests of Wellness/ LEXspa.
- Assist guests in scheduling appointments; maintain a record of all spa appointments.
- Provide exercise equipment assistance and instruction.
- Maintain the overall neatness and cleanliness of LEXspa, Fitness areas, equipment including yoga mats, and Wellness board.
- Maintain inventory and adequate stock of Wellness/LEXspa supplies and reorder as necessary.
- Coordinate with the Hotel Manager to ensure that healthy food options are offered throughout the voyage (e.g. beverages after exercise class, healthy snacks, etc.).
- Initiate and propose wellness options/activities to the EL, to be included in the daily program and added spontaneously into daily plans.
- Complete turn day duties as assigned by the Hotel Manager.
- The wellness specialist must be familiar with the company philosophy and various programs offered by Lindblad Expeditions.
- Should be able to address and field questions from guests regarding the various programs offered.
- Should become familiar with Lindblad Expeditions-National Geographic’s conservation and sustainability programs and be able to discuss the particular efforts in any itinerary where scheduled.
- Should be prepared to assist with many aspects of Zodiac operations for shore excursions.
- Should be prepared to participate in on-board safety training, meetings, and drills, including abandon ship and fire drills.
- Will also participate in shore-based training as required by the Company.
- Must be very familiar with the Field Staff Handbook.
- Licensed in massage and have at least one year of experience in full-body deep-tissue and relaxation massage.
- Proven ability to perform specialized massage
- Preferably one year of experience leading group classes.
- Strong personal hiking experience required; experience leading group hikes is strongly preferred.
- Ability to kayak and help with racking/un-racking/launching/landing kayaks required. Swimming, snorkeling, SUP are a plus.
- Using the English language, this person must have the ability to communicate effectively with guests and employees alike.
- Additionally, qualified candidates will possess excellent customer service skills, a professional demeanor, and the ability to use necessary levels of tact and courtesy.
- Massage Therapist license/certification required
What we offer:
Daily rate for this contract position: $220/daily
Travel Expenses Paid
Using the English language, this person must have the ability to read, write, and comprehend policies, legal guidelines, correspondence, and memos. Must also possess the ability to effectively communicate--both in writing and orally--with a professional demeanor.
While performing the duties of this position, this person is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. This person will also be required to write and type. Occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The physical demands per position are described in the Job Analysis sheet and are available to all applicants upon request.
Lindblad Expeditions determines the pay for contracts and positions using local, national, and industry-specific survey data. We evaluate external equity and the cost of labor/prevailing wage index in the relative marketplace for jobs directly comparable to jobs within our company. Our posted daily range is based on national data and may be refined for a candidate's region/town/cost of living.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
At Lindblad Expeditions, we simply could not do our work without the diverse kaleidoscope of humanity that creates and delivers our remarkable offerings across the planet. As a Company that respects and celebrates the inherent diversity in the places we explore, we recognize the need to mirror that same diversity and all the interconnected perspectives within our organization. We are committed to building a community of different genders, races, ages, sexual orientations, chosen identities, and countries of origin where every person brings their whole self to work and whose skills, talents, and abilities are valued. We believe we can explore further and in a more meaningful way by actively creating a more diverse and inclusive organization where everyone feels they belong.
Lindblad Expeditions is an equal-opportunity employer. Individuals seeking a contract or employment at Lindblad Expeditions are considered without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, or veteran status.