United States /
Shipboard – Galley /
WHO WE ARE
Lindblad Expeditions is the pioneer in the Expedition Travel space, from taking the first citizen explorers to Antarctica in 1966, to opening the Galapagos and Easter Island to tourism in 1967, to leading the first tourist expedition through the Northwest Passage in 1984, to launching our innovative partnership with National Geographic in 2004. Now taking nearly 25,000 guests per year to some of the world’s most remote and pristine locations on our fleet of 16 ships, we do whatever it takes to ensure our guests experience the “Exhilaration of Discovery”.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Sous Chef is responsible for assisting in the preparation of all guest and crew meals. In addition, the Sous Chef may prep, load stores and provisions, clean, and wash dishes, as well as most of the baking that happens on board.
This position works 12 hours per day on split shifts to cover the responsibilities, approximately 2 months on, 1 month off rotational schedule.
- Assists the Head Chef in the preparation of all guest and crew meals following Company menu matrix and recipes.
- Participates in the actual cooking and preparation of breakfast, lunch and dinner; meat and fish dishes, vegetarian options for both guest and crew meals.
- Primary responsibilities include butchering, prepping, portioning, and cooking meals for guest and crew requested by Head Chef.
- Assists Head Chef in training, and developing of the Pantry Chefs, other Sous Chefs, and galley stewards, by following company policies, and menus.
- Helps maintain the cleanliness of the galley area and food storage rooms.
- Adheres to all CDC Vessel Sanitation Program and Health Canada requirements.
- Assists in dishwashing as needed and/or assigned.
- Assists in loading, handling and proper storage of food and related items to maintain inventory at appropriate stocking levels and to ensure proper rotation of perishable and non-perishable food items.
- Participates in on board safety training, meetings and drills, as directed by the Captain, including fire, abandon ship, man overboard, flooding and medical emergencies.
- Adheres to Company’s policy on uniform, to promote company’s image, safety, and standards.
- Participates in shore side training as required by the company.
- Familiar with the ISM codes and requirements.
- Maintains familiarity with all duties under the company Safety Management System and Emergency Station Billet duties.
Safety and Security:
DESIRED SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Desired qualifications
- Completion of formal training at a culinary school preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working within the culinary team on board passenger ships preferred.
- Good time management skills; ability to handle multiple tasks, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to step up when needed, and act as Head Chef should the need arise.
- Good supervisory skills sets, and ability to work with others.
- Ability to get along with co-workers and support a team environment.
- Ability to communicate successfully with galley team members; and office personnel.
- Ability to have guest interaction and communicate with them the vision of the department, and program.
- Current First Aid/CPR certification required.
- Valid US Passport required.
- STCW Basic Safety Training preferred.
- STCW Crowd Management preferred.
- Vessel Sanitation Public Health preferred
Vacation Pay (10% of the daily rate for each day worked)
7 Paid Holidays
Health insurance including Medical, Dental, Vision
401(k) plan with employer match
Room and board when scheduled
Travel Day Pay
Travel Expenses Paid
Travel benefits for employees and their family
Emergency Coverage Pay
Using the English language, this person must have the ability to read, write, and comprehend policies, legal guidelines, correspondence, and memos. Must also possess the ability to effectively communicate--both in writing and orally--with a professional demeanor.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk and hear. The employee will also be required to write and type. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The physical demands per position are described in the Job Analysis sheet and are available to all applicants upon request.
Lindblad Expeditions determines the pay for positions using local, national, and industry-specific survey data. We evaluate external equity and the cost of labor/prevailing wage index in the relative marketplace for jobs directly comparable to jobs within our company. Our posted salary range is based on national data and may be refined for a candidate's region/town/cost of living.
For new hires, we strive to make competitive offers allowing the new employee room for future growth. Salaries will be based on the applicant’s location, level of experience, education, and specialized knowledge and skills. An employee/candidate with a stronger skill set will receive higher pay.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER STATEMENT
At Lindblad Expeditions, we simply could not do our work without the diverse kaleidoscope of humanity that creates and delivers our remarkable offerings across the planet. As a Company that respects and celebrates the inherent diversity in the places we explore, we recognize the need to mirror that same diversity and all the interconnected perspectives within our organization. We are committed to building a community of different genders, races, ages, sexual orientations, chosen identities, and countries of origin where every person brings their whole self to work and whose skills, talents, and abilities are valued. We believe we can explore further and in a more meaningful way by actively creating a more diverse and inclusive organization where everyone feels they belong.
Lindblad Expeditions is an equal opportunity employer. Individuals seeking employment at Lindblad Expeditions are considered without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetics, marital status, pregnancy, unemployment status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, or veteran status.