Backend Engineer (OSS)
San Francisco /
Data Science Is Transforming The World
But data engineering is full of friction. Only 1 in 10 data science projects make it to production. At Linea, we are reimagining the data science toolchain to empower anyone to generate value with data.
What We Do
We are building a company to make the transformational power of data science available to everyone, without the need for PhD. Our mission is to unify the data science ecosystem using open source, serving as the bridge between the science and art of data. By incorporating the latest research from systems, databases, programming languages, and human-computer interactions, we are reimagining the data science experience to help everyone be great at data.
Modern data scientists love LineaPy, our open source tool that simplifies the most repetitive and mundane data engineering tasks. It’s our first step to empowering teams to deliver actionable insights faster.
Who We Are
Linea is a fast-growing company of explorers, engineers, and scientists. We are mission-driven and focused on providing an exceptional user experience. Our team works closely with customers from the world’s most recognizable brands to shape and refine our product.
Linea founders are CS PhDs from the lab at UC Berkeley that created Apache Spark. Our team has worked on many popular machine learning frameworks such as Spark MLlib, Tensorflow Extended (TFX), and ONNX – and built proprietary ML infra that powers billions of dollars in revenue. We make bold technical bets. We're not afraid to incorporate cutting-edge research to achieve unparalleled UX and product performance. Our competitive edge is our unique technical expertise and insight and relentless focus on serving our customers. We are headquartered in the Bay Area with a distributed workforce working remotely around the globe.
We're looking for backend software engineers to join us on our mission. We are well-funded by top-tier VC firms and are scaling up our team to take on an ambitious product roadmap.
- Contribute to a data science Python library that addresses MLOps concerns in novel ways.
- Write maintainable and self-documenting code. Perform code reviews.
- Design and implement APIs to address user needs.
- Create tutorials and demos for new features.
Nice to haves
- Experience with scalable machine learning, data science tooling, database query optimization, or PL experiences with compilers, transpilers, or program analysis
- Ability to leverage data structures, algorithms, and software design to solve real problems
- Proven coding skills in Python, database design
- Experience training models or performing data analytics using frameworks like Jupyter notebooks
- Experience with deploying and running interacting services on AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud
At our startup, we value ethical practices, a high quality work environment, and diversity in backgrounds and perspectives. We are personal-growth oriented and strive for a positive and inclusive culture.
This startup policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.