VP of Engineering
New York, NY
LiveLike is a funded and well-endorsed VR/AR/interactive live sports company. We have partnered most notably with FOX Sports to release Social on Fox Sports VR. We also broadcast the Superbowl LI and built French Tennis Open VR with France TV for both Mobile and VR platforms. These are just a few of the many clients we work with and we’re actively growing in all four corners of the world.
At our core, we are a big group of nerds, sports fanatics, and generally lovable people. We're as passionate about next-gen sport live streaming as we are about free morning coffee and 5 o’clock drinks, so our team has access to every major VR/AR/MR system, and so will you. We've worked extremely hard to get where we are right now but we wholly embrace the laid back but "get s**t done" attitude.
The What, Why, & How
[What] - Ideally, you are both an empathetic manager and a proven team builder. You'll be responsible for the engineering team's success by hiring the most talented engineers, enforcing the best engineering practices and being a resource in resolving issues as they arise. You will provide significant value to recruiting initiatives and be a proactive communicator to aid in the company's overall workflow.
[Why] - As we scale the engineering team, we will need to separate the responsibilities between the CTO (technical focus) and the VP of Engineering (managerial focus). With one person doing both jobs, the quality of each suffers. We are not doing enough research on the direction of future technology and product architecture. At the same time, management of employees & process enforcement isn't being carried out effectively. We want you to help us turn our team into a well-oiled process-driven engineering machine capable of growing itself at a rapid pace when and where needed.
[How] - This role will report to the CTO and will be in charge of the day-to-day management of the engineering organization. Management will include both platform and client development across all offices.
- Previous experience as an above-average engineer, ideally at a similar type of company (startup or larger organization).
- Previous experience managing people.
- A reliable network of existing engineers you trust want to work with again.
- Ability to mediate various problems between engineering and other people/teams within the company.
- Ability to set-up, manage and enforce processes.
- Seamless alignment with the company's goals and values.
- Be intimately involved in the interview and hiring process.
- Strong product intuition and passion: can hold their own with any Product Manager on product discussions.
- Hitting all engineering hiring goals
- Developing a training/onboarding program for everyone that needs it
- Our frontend team is following high code quality processes
- Developer morale is at an all-time high
- Developer rapport is high across all offices
- Managed an engineering team of at least 25 people
- Scaled engineering teams from 10 to 50+ employees
- Was a solid engineer in the early days
- Is a proven Process-driven professional
What direction do we hope this role will take the company?
We'll be able to build faster, recruit faster and due to the improved efficiency, our engineers will be happier. Happier engineers = better coding = best product possible = success.
Why is it mission critical for us at this moment in time?
At 24 engineers, with little experience in management & process overhead, we seek to add management expertise to our technical team.
How will the person in this role interact with existing leadership?
Collaboration will be the name of this game. This role will report to the CTO, work directly with the product team and ultimately be part of the executive team. Making choices that will affect both your team and the company as a whole.
What does it mean to be a great VP of Engineering?
What will their success look like in the first six months? The first year?
What does the ideal candidate need to have done before in their career?
We are currently not engaging new agencies for our roles. If you must reach out to us though, please reach out to me directly. Our founding members and team are busy building awesome stuff and your email will end up in my inbox any way.
LiveLike is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.