Tree Sales Manager
Commercialization – Commercialization /
Living Carbon is a carbon project developer using advanced forest biotechnology for afforestation on degraded land. We restore ecosystems by planting mixed-stand forests on marginal land including abandoned mineland and degraded agricultural land. These plantings include a proprietary photosynthesis-enhanced tree that grows faster and captures more carbon, through a mechanism similar to photosynthesis in grasses. Peer-reviewed research confirms that our enhanced trees have faster, fuller growth compared to wild type trees. We’re backed by some of the most prominent investors in Silicon Valley including Temasek, Toyota Ventures, Felicis Ventures, Y Combinator, and Chris Sacca of LowerCarbon Capital.
We are seeking to contract a Tree Sales Manager to lead sales of hybrid poplar over the next 6 months. The primary responsibility will be to market and sell up to 2.5 million of Living Carbon's containerized climate-smart seedlings, which are available for planting in Fall 2023 and Spring 2024.
Our photosynthesis-enhanced poplar has been shown to increase the production of above ground biomass by up to 53% in greenhouse trials, with field trials confirming significant increases in height and diameter. A hybrid of Populus tremula (aspen) and Populus alba (white poplar), these are naturally vigorous deciduous trees that grow quickly up to 90-120 feet tall with a trunk diameter over 5 feet.
This is a unique opportunity for the right candidate to make a very high commission over six months through flexible remote work. This challenge requires a candidate with a strong network in industries with demand for hardwood seedlings, and the ability to source and close seedling sales deals quickly. Because this project is targeting a medium-term timeframe, we are looking for someone who can hit the ground running and has existing strong relationships with potential buyers.
There is the opportunity for this role to become a full-time position focused on sales of our second product, which will be photosynthesis-enhanced loblolly pine.
- 5+ years selling plants or seeds directly directly to buyers or via dealers.
- Strong domain experience and background in forestry, production agriculture, retail or input selling.
- Strong network and relationships in forestry, land remediation, bioenergy, or other industries with demand for hardwood seedlings.
- Proven track record of selling an innovative forestry product.
- Ability to advise landowners on planting and forestry best practices for Living Carbon’s seedlings.
- Comfort with a remote work style and startup environment.
- Focused executor who can move fast, with high accuracy and strong follow-up.
- Fast learner with the ability to iterate quickly on new concepts High resilience to ambiguity and uncertainty in a fast-paced environment.
- Performance based commission of 50% of proceeds from the sale of millions of seedlings, with discretion to price seedlings based on market feedback.
Living Carbon PBC offers competitive compensation, and generous healthcare, dental and vision insurance.
Living Carbon PBC is an equal opportunity employer.
We believe the best solutions to climate change are created by diverse teams. Living Carbon is focused on building a multicultural and inclusive team with strong representation from the many diverse communities disproportionately impacted by climate change. As a public benefit corporation, ensuring solutions to slow climate change are widely distributed to all peoples is critical to the success of our mission.