VP Of Carrier Operations
New York, NY
Who we are:
At Loadsmart, we won't settle for the status quo in logistics. We know there is a better, more efficient and socially responsible way to move cargo across the world. That's why we are building products, platforms, and services with a purpose that create a transformational capacity to change the world. Currently, we are focused on rewriting the rules of the road for full truckload shipping. Our mission: to connect all trucks and players—shippers and brokers, owners and operators, dispatchers and drivers—and deliver more with less.
Who you are:
You believe in game-changing innovations and are excited about reimaging a 700 billion dollar industry. You are decisive, a true optimist, results driven with a strong sense of urgency (yet a sense of humor) and must be obsessed with delighting our customers by (a) delivering and (b) unparalleled service. You will challenge the status quo and willing to roll up their sleeves to make it happen. No excuses.
We are looking for a VP Of Carrier Operations whose primary responsibilities include owning the truckload operations strategy and process, such as, purchasing transportation services from motor carriers, managing carrier performance, and ensuring carriers maintain Loadsmart’s minimum compliance standards.
- Develop, own and execute the operations and carrier sourcing strategy
- Responsible to document and understand customers’ transportation requirements, develop RFQ’s, identify and engage carriers, and negotiate the best rates and service possible for Loadsmart’s customers.
- Provide continuous improvement opportunities for both cost and service initiatives through data analysis and customer engagement.
- Study and understand transport market rate and capacity trends to ensure carrier coverage and mitigate cost impacts to the customer.
- Establish and grow relationships with truckload carriers in North America to support customer requirements
- Manage RFQs to establish the best rates possible and secure capacity
- Conduct regular meetings with core carriers to review cost and service performance
- Establish customer specific carrier performance standards (on-time delivery, communication, tender acceptance, etc.) and distribute monthly scorecards to the carriers and summary scorecards to our customers
- Manage the performance improvement process with under-performing carriers to either improve service or remove them from the networkInitiate contracting with new carriers
- Provide carrier training and on-boarding to ensure compliance with Loadsmart and customer requirements.
- Ensure all tariffs / fees / accessorials built in our transportation management system are accurate and reflect negotiated rates - work with accounting
- Use transport data and analytics to identify customer-specific cost and service opportunitiesProactively develop and present savings proposalsWork closely with sales executives to respond quickly to prospective customer requests for quote
- 10+ years of transportation purchasing experience including negotiating rates and service levels with carriers
- Expert knowledge of the full truckload spot and contracted markets: rates, capacity, major players, competitive dynamics, etc.
- Deep Knowledge of carrier operations, rate structures, contracts, and tariffs required
- Excellent negotiation skills and the ability to negotiate effectively with senior executives
- Ability to complete multiple, complex, tasks and assignments
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong oral and written communications skills are required
- Bachelor’s Degree