Data Engineer II
Technology – Data Science /
At Loblaw Digital, we know that our customers expect the best from us. Whether that means building the best, most innovative online shopping experiences, or designing an app that will impact the lives of people across the country, we’re up for the challenge. Loblaw Digital is the team responsible for building and operating the online businesses of Canada’s largest and most successful retailer. Based in downtown Toronto, we are an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and collaborative team working towards transforming the way Canadians shop by creating leading eCommerce experiences in the online grocery shopping, beauty, pharmacy, loyalty, and apparel spaces, and we’re only just getting started! To achieve these goals, we are looking for talented and passionate individuals who want to collaborate and solve challenging problems and make significant and lasting impact on Canadians.
As a Data Engineer on the Data Science Platform team, you will be responsible for building the best digital online shopping experience globally. Your mandate will be to ship products, features, and experiences that offer millions of Canadians a delightfully simple, personalized, and convenient online grocery shopping experience and you will measure your success with KPIs that include adoption, conversion, and retention. You will use data every single day to uncover meaningful insights that inform your experimentation strategy and ultimately, your product roadmap.
What You'll Do
- Implement data pipelines to ingest, clean, aggregate, and integrate data from various data sources
- Work with Google Cloud Platform and distributed computing tools such as Cloud DataFlow, DataProc, BigQuery, BigTable, Composer (Apache Airflow), Kubernetes, Docker, VertexAI
- Work with streaming data platforms such as Cloud Pub/Sub and Kafka
- Support business decisions with ad hoc analysis as needed, and communicate findings to senior management
- Mentor and support other team members
Does This Sound Like You?
- Degree in a computing-related discipline such as Computer Engineering/Science, or equivalent work experience
- At least 2 years of software development experience coupled with Data Engineering
- Strong software development proficiency using Python, Java, and SQL
- Strong understanding of big data and distributed computing concepts with hands-on experience using related technologies
- Creative problem solver, resourceful in getting things done, and productive working independently or collaboratively
- Strong passion for analytics and data mining to drive business decisions
- Ability to communicate complex quantitative analysis in a clear, precise, and actionable manner
How you’ll succeed
At Loblaw Digital, we seek great people to continually strengthen our culture. We believe great people model our values, are authentic, build trust and make connections. We’re able to keep innovating because our colleagues are passionate about their work and excited about the future of eCommerce. You will get to work with some of the best digital minds and will have the support of world class technologies to craft products our customers will love!
If you are unsure whether your experience matches every requirement above, we encourage you to apply anyway. We are looking for varied perspectives which include diverse experiences that we can add to our team.
We have a long-standing focus on diversity, equity and inclusion because we know it will make our company a better place to work and shop. We are committed to creating accessible environments for our colleagues, candidates and customers. Requests for accommodation due to a disability (which may be visible or invisible, temporary or permanent) can be made at any stage of application and employment. We encourage candidates to make their accommodation needs known so that we can provide equitable opportunities.