San Francisco, CA /
Support Center – Development /
Local Kitchens helps the best local restaurants expand to new cities with our network of micro food halls. We are helping the $900bn restaurant industry go digital while bringing high-quality food options to families in every neighborhood. Today, we are operating in the SF Bay Area and rapidly expanding throughout California in 2022.
Our team was on the founding team at DoorDash and we are well-capitalized by tier 1 venture capital investors and angels like David Novak (CEO/Founder of Yum Brands), Tony Xu (CEO of DoorDash), and Jack Dorsey (CEO of Square/Twitter). Read more about us in QSR Magazine, QSR Web, and in the SF Business Times.
About the Role:
We are seeking a Project Manager for new store development to lead the design and construction of new locations to support continued growth. Our real estate team is building a robust pipeline of new locations and the primary responsibility of this person will be to manage each project to deliver beautiful new kitchens on schedule and within budget. This role will have the opportunity to be an integral early member of the store development team at a fast growing company. From developing best in class processes, to design input and vendor selection, the Project Manager will have a major contributing role in shaping the design and construction process at Local Kitchens.
- Manage full development cycle of 10-15 new restaurants simultaneously.
- Manage architects and engineers to prepare plans per brand standards on expedited timelines.
- When applicable, manage permit expeditors to speed permitting process and tackle unforeseen hurdles.
- Engage our signage vendor to prepare sign designs per brand standards, local codes and any applicable master sign programs.
- Lead GC bidding process to select high quality GC partners within budget
- Manage procurement with kitchen equipment and low voltage vendors to ensure on time delivery and installation
- The Project Manager will own budgeting and scheduling for each project: preparing initial budgets and schedules and tracking progress throughout the project.
- Regular communication with operations, marketing, recruiting and other cross-functional teams to ensure smooth openings post-construction
- Serve as key partner in designing and updating brand standards
- Utilize prior experience to improve plans to drive enhanced guest experience, faster construction and reduced budget. Conduct feedback sessions to further iterate plans after each successful opening.
- Support facilities function for existing stores as needed
- Maintain a solid vendor base to use for facilities calls, reviewing work orders submitted by Kitchen Managers and identifying issues that require larger investment.
- 2+ years experience in construction project management, retail real estate; preferably with restaurant / retail / tenant improvement experience
- Keen attention to detail and ownership mentality
- Multi-tasking; the Project Manager will be expected to manage multiple vendors and multiple projects simultaneously. Ability to prioritize and work on multiple tasks simultaneously is essential to the role.
- Excellent communication; providing regular updates to internal partners and external vendors is critical to success. The ideal candidate will be able to communicate project status and key milestone dates to all stakeholders.
- Schedule management; the ability to manage a construction schedule, anticipate hurdles and plan contingencies before delays happen.
- Sense of urgency; Local Kitchens is striving to deliver new locations much faster than industry average. In order to push the envelope, the candidate must operate with a sense of urgency even when a project delivery date is many months away. Every day lost at the beginning of a project cannot be reclaimed.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
Nice to Have:
- QSR/Restaurant development experience
- Proficiency with relevant software (Microsoft Project, AutoCAD, Procore, etc.)
- Ability to review and edit retail leases
- Guest love: Local Kitchens exists to make guests happy. We start with “what would the guest want?” and work backwards. Support Center works to serve our kitchen teams, so that they can take care of our guests.
- First principles thinking: We keep asking “why” like a 4-year old and never accept the status quo. We are truth seekers. We reason from fundamental truths in order to invent new ways to delight guests.
- Operate at the lowest level of detail: We solve problems at the lowest level of detail e.g. by going to the kitchen. We measure everything and win arguments with data. We don’t use sloppy thinking.
- Relentless: We outwork everyone, it’s our most controllable competitive advantage. We don’t get knocked down when things are tough.
- Drive for excellence: We are intrinsically motivated and strive to get 1% better every day.
- No job beneath you: We do whatever is needed to help the team win. We don’t understand the words “that’s not my job”. We always wash the dishes.
- Play with joy: We bring joy to work every day. We support each other with contagious energy and optimism. We choose to have fun even when it feels like a grind.
This is an opportunity of a lifetime! Local Food Group is being built by some of the best in the world including the first few employees at DoorDash and Momofuku. We are backed by some of the best investors in the world. We have set out to work as hard as humanly possible, to work as a team and to serve local communities with the best selection and the best employment opportunities. If you're someone who is looking for a career defining opportunity, someone who is willing to grind it out day after day, someone who has enthusiasm for guests and partners - we want to hear from you.