People Ops Manager
San Francisco /
Local Kitchens helps the best local restaurants expand to new cities with our network of micro food halls. We are helping the $900bn restaurant industry go digital while bringing high-quality food options to families in every neighborhood. Today, we are operating in the SF Bay Area and rapidly expanding throughout California in 2022.
Our team was on the founding team at DoorDash and we are well-capitalized by tier 1 venture capital investors and angels like David Novak (CEO/Founder of Yum Brands), Tony Xu (CEO of Doordash), and Jack Dorsey (CEO of Square/Twitter). Read more about us in QSR Magazine, QSR Web, and in the SF Business Times.
About the Role:
Local Kitchens is seeking a relentless, detail-oriented People Ops Manager to help us build teams in the bay area and beyond. This is the first HR hire in a fast-growing startup, and carries unlimited growth potential. We work with brilliant local chefs and exciting restaurant brands - your job is to manage the employee life cycle and help us take great care of the people who work here.
This position requires elite attention to detail; you’ll spend most of your time (70%) managing the payroll cycle, validating onboarding documents, ensuring compliance with CA break and labor laws at all locations, and managing proper offboarding. Some travel to Bay Area stores (30%) may be required.
- Help us become the class of the industry in HR
- Treat issues with our Team Members with life and death importance
- Make Local Kitchens a destination for talent by retaining the best talent.
- Keep the company in compliance with local laws and regulations, minimizing exposure.
- Adapt to a changing environment in a small company, do whatever it takes.
- No detail is too small to pursue, aim for perfection
- Commit to never losing the best talent
- Work with Head of Kitchen Ops to improve employee life cycle
- Work with Recruiter to ensure all onboarding is completed properly
- Validate training programs are followed for all team members
- Own centralized payroll system, make sure our team is paid properly and on time, every single time.
- Validate all documents related to onboarding and offboarding
- Meet with line-level employees as necessary to hear concerns and solve problems
- Local Kitchens reduces store-level turnover through improved team member experience
- The company is compliant, organized and systematic managing personnel details
- Every team member is properly onboarded
- Our team is properly trained
- Bilingual English/Spanish
- Strong written and verbal communication
- Able to understand and follow California labor laws
- Able to learn and navigate cloud-based systems.
- Guest love: Local Kitchens exists to make guests happy. We start with “what would the guest want?” and work backwards. Support Center works to serve our kitchen teams, so that they can take care of our guests.
- First principles thinking: We keep asking “why” like a 4-year old and never accept the status quo. We are truth seekers. We reason from fundamental truths in order to invent new ways to delight guests.
- Operate at the lowest level of detail: We solve problems at the lowest level of detail e.g. by going to the kitchen. We measure everything and win arguments with data. We don’t use sloppy thinking.
- Relentless: We outwork everyone, it’s our most controllable competitive advantage. We don’t get knocked down when things are tough.
- Drive for excellence: We are intrinsically motivated and strive to get 1% better every day.
- No job beneath you: We do whatever is needed to help the team win. We don’t understand the words “that’s not my job”. We always wash the dishes.
- Play with joy: We bring joy to work every day. We support each other with contagious energy and optimism. We choose to have fun even when it feels like a grind.
This is an opportunity of a lifetime! Local Food Group is being built by some of the best in the world including the first few employees at DoorDash and Momofuku. We are backed by some of the best investors in the world. We have set out to work as hard as humanly possible, to work as a team and to serve local communities with the best selection and the best employment opportunities. If you're someone who is looking for a career defining opportunity, someone who is willing to grind it out day after day, someone who has enthusiasm for guests and partners - we want to hear from you.