Satellite Systems Engineer
Golden, CO /
Programs – Systems Engineering /
Wanna join the adventure?
Loft Orbital builds a space infrastructure providing a fast & simple path to orbit. Using different flight proven buses, we design, integrate and operate spacecrafts, to fly physical or virtual customers payloads. We handle entire missions from end to end, significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
As a Satellite Systems Engineer at Loft, you will be a systems engineer for one or several satellite missions, each one flying a single/multi-payload configuration. You will work with mission manager and all the Loft teams: products development teams, flight and ground software, AIT and operations.
Using flight proven satellite buses and Loft designed payload hub infrastructure, you will participate to the development activities of the missions you are working on.
*Research shows that while men apply to jobs where they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized people tend to only apply when they meet 100% of the qualifications. At Loft, we value respectful debate and people who aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions. We strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t ‘check all the boxes.
About this role:
- You will develop and manage system requirements and verification techniques
- You will develop and maintain technical budgets for spacecraft performance
- You will develop mission CONOPS and run Day-In-The-Life mission simulations (power, data, dissipation, ...) for a given mission, but also develop/improve tools and models
- You will develop generic interface specifications, CONOPS definition, and other design documents.
- You will support pointing guidance, flight dynamics, deorbiting or other satellite/constellation level mission analyses
- You will support test procedures and participate in the integration, test campaign, and spacecraft in-flight commissioning
- You have 5 to 10 years experience as a spacecraft systems engineer, or subsystem engineer (ADCS, Mechanical, Thermal, Power, Avionics, …)
- You have strong communication and organizational skills
- You challenge norms in aerospace engineering and testing activities and or experienced in fast-paced development environment
- You handle pressure positively and are always ready to put hands-on
Nice to Haves:
- You have experience in small satellite assembly, integration and test campaigns
- You have experience in spacecraft in-orbit operations
- Experience in Python coding
- International experience
- Proficient with STK
Some of Our Awesome Benefits:
- 100% company-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance option for employees and dependents
- Flexible Spending (FSA) and Health Savings (HSA) Accounts offered with an employer contribution to the HSA
- 100% employer paid Life, AD&D, Short-Term, and Long-Term Disability insurance
- Flexible Time Off policy for vacation and sick leave, and 12 paid holidays
- 401(k) plan and equity options
- Daily catered lunches and snacks
- International exposure to our team in France
- Fully paid parental leave; 14 weeks for primary caregiver and 10 weeks for secondary caregiver
- Carrot Fertility provides comprehensive, inclusive fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits with financial support
- Off-sites and many social events and celebrations
- Relocation assistance when applicable
$100,000 - $174,000 a year
State law requires us to tell you the base compensation range for this role, which is $100,000 - $174,000 per year, determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. The salary range for this role is intentionally wide as we evaluate individuals based on their unique experience and abilities to fit our needs. Most importantly, we are excited to meet you, and see if you are a great fit for our team. What we can’t quantify for you are the exciting challenges, supportive team, and amazing culture we enjoy.
Who We Are
Loft Orbital builds “shareable” satellites, providing a fast & simple path to orbit for organizations that require access to space. Powered by our hardware & software products, we operate satellites, fly customer payloads onboard, and handle entire missions from end to end - significantly reducing the lead-time and risk of a traditional space mission.
Our standard interface enables us to fly multiple customer payloads on the same satellite, with capabilities such as earth imagery, weather & climate /science data collection, IoT connectivity, in-orbit demonstrations, and national security missions. Our customers trust us to manage their space infrastructure, so they can focus on what matters most to them: operating their mission and collecting their data.
At Loft, you’ll be given the autonomy and ownership to solve significant challenges, but with a close-knit and supportive team at your back. We believe that diversity and community are the foundation of an open culture. We are committed to hiring the best people regardless of background and make their time at Loft the most fulfilling period of their career.
We value kind, supportive and team-oriented collaborators. It is also crucial for us that you are a problem solver and a great communicator. As our team is international, you will need strong English skills to better collaborate, easily communicate complex ideas and convey important messages.
With 3 satellites on-orbit and a wave of exciting missions launching soon, we are scaling up quickly across our offices in San Francisco, CA | Golden, CO | and Toulouse, France.
As an international company your resume will be reviewed by people across our offices so please attach a copy in English.