Software Engineering Intern
The Logikcull internship program is for underrepresented and underserved individuals with an interest in the technology space. We will select three individuals for a 3-month long program in which they will be immersed in our Engineering, Product Support, and People departments. This program is an excellent opportunity for individuals trying to transition into the technology space, such as parents returning to the workforce, military veterans returning from duty, or recent graduates from technology bootcamps. Interns will be expected to complete online courses throughout the fall and present their learnings on a bi-weekly basis to a small group of Logikbots (that’s what we call ourselves!). They will work hand-in-hand with a person from their department on projects in their field. In addition, interns will present their overall learnings at the end of the internship at a Logikcull All Hands meeting.
Why we do what we do:
Ever watch a crime show and at the last minute the expert researchers were able to find that needle-in-a-haystack e-mail that proves the guilt of the hard-core criminal and saves the day? Well, taking away all the dramatics, that is what Logikcull’s software does. You plug data into our software and are able to easily and quickly search for what you’re looking for. Voila! No mysterious expert researchers necessary ;-)
Logikcull’s mission is to democratize discovery. The costs and risks associated with complex data projects like e-discovery, responding to FOIA requests, and conducting internal investigations are skyrocketing as the amount of data increases. Logikcull is transforming these tasks so they can be completed in minutes, by anyone, anywhere. As a result, our customers--modern legal teams from solo attorneys to massive law firms, Fortune 500 companies, and leading non-profit organizations -- can find and use important information quickly so they can focus on their important work, like pursuing a better democracy or saving the Earth.
The team you’ll be joining:
Logikcull Engineering comprises over 30 engineers located across North America and the UK. We operate as small, collaborative squads spanning three disciplines:
-Discovery Platform-The web application in which our customers search and review their documents
-Data Processing-The backend application that extracts, transforms, and indexes customer documents
-Engineering Platform-The infrastructure that hosts and delivers changes to our applications and data stores
We work together with members of our Design and Product teams to develop a platform that consistently earns some of the best user and analyst reviews in the industry. Engineers enjoy a vibrant company culture and outstanding levels of camaraderie with their co-workers; employee feedback consistently gives top marks for engagement, retention, and quality of life (check out our Glassdoor page!).
- The internship will be from September 8 - November 30th (dates may be adjusted slightly)
- Interns will be expected to work 40 hours per week, M-F
- Compensation will be $3,000/mo with an additional $250/mo given to cover fringe benefits, such as internet costs, phone bills, gym memberships, etc.
- Logikcull will provide a work laptop, monitor, keyboard and mouse.
What you’ll be doing:
- Learning independently from online courses
- Improving our software systems alongside your sponsor
- Cementing your learning with supplemental activities
-General computer programming skills
-Ancillary software development skills
-Industry standard collaboration processes
-Creating real, live improvements in each of our three engineering disciplines
-Choosing and developing a capstone project with your sponsor
-Watching and discussing talks on technical topics
-Delivering presentations to share your growth
-Helping us learn how to provide an outstanding internship experience
- Must have an interest in working in a technology startup environment
- Applicants must be members of an underrepresented group including but not limited to those of African American, Latino/Hispanic, or Native American
- Must have an interest in software engineering
- Must be willing and able to work from home with a reliable internet connection and a distraction-free environment
- You’re curious to learn the craft of solving problems with technology
- You’ve programmed a computer in a language like Ruby before, and you don’t hate it
- You’re able to collaborate regularly via instant message application and video / audio call
Characteristics we seek:
- Smart, and not arrogant
- Humble, and hard working
- Entrepreneurial, not risk-averse
- Nice, and not disingenuous
- Grit, and lots of it!
Our core values:
- Start with the why
- Put the customer first
- Pursue powerful simplicity
- Do the right thing
- Be S.H.E.N.G. (see characteristics above)
Here’s how to apply!
- To apply for this role click the link below. Please submit your resume along with your answers to the questions below.
1. We look for candidates that embody our the traits of CTO, Sheng Yang. These attributes include being:
Smart, not arrogant
Humble and hardworking
Entrepreneurial, not risk averse
Nice, and not disingenuous
Grit, and lots of it!
Select one of the above and tell us a story of how you exemplified this attribute. Don’t worry, we’ll get to the others in the recruiting process!
2. Tell us about a moment from your past you feel helped shape who you are today.
3. Consider a problem you’ve addressed by writing code, and please share the following:
-What was tricky about this problem?
-Why did this problem capture your imagination?
-What made you proud of the solution you created?
-How would you approach a similar problem next time?