Application Framework - Software Engineer, Front-End
Engineering, Product, and Design – Engineering
WHO WE ARE
Looker is on a mission to bring better insights and data-driven decisions to every business. Everything we do is aimed at making sure our customers love every aspect of Looker, from our products and technologies to our ease of doing business and our support. We are looking for curiously brilliant individuals to join our team as we reinvent data analytics. Get data-driven and see yourself at Looker.
WHAT WE'VE GOT GOING ON
Our team is made up of people from varied backgrounds, including engineers who have worked at large organizations, small startups, or are second-career coming in from bootcamp. We build modern software with techniques like continuous integration, continuous delivery and DevOps. We believe in personal responsibility where nothing is “thrown over the wall” for someone else to deal with. We wash our own dishes.
Cross-functional partnerships are deeply meaningful to us and are how we’ve built up immense trust with customers, sales, customer support, and each other. We believe in being responsive to our customers and developing with them in mind, but that doesn’t mean that we build the product based solely on customer requests - the real way to serve a customer is by having vision for where the product needs to go.
We are looking for curious, kind, and passionate people to join our team as we reinvent data analytics. We value simplicity in both our code and our user interfaces. We opt for small groups that move fast, build relationships, communicate clearly, and achieve more. We try to choose the right tool for the job, not one tool to solve all problems. We make a huge impact on product direction, we experiment, and we iterate rapidly.
At Looker you will have responsibility and influence our direction. You will impact the business in tangible, visible ways and always have a seat at the table. You will have a team to collaborate with, learn from, and teach. You will have exciting projects to work on and opportunities for leadership.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Application Framework team is responsible for creating an innovative new framework to allow our customers to build rich data experiences on top of our powerful analytics platform. We’re a small team charting new territory for Looker, and the work we do will be a fundamental part of the company’s future.
We are seeking a, engineer who is passionate about front-end architecture, API design, visual design, and has experience they are excited to share. We want someone who loves building systems to empower other developers and who is excited about working with, teaching, and learning from a team with high standards for quality, performance, and simplicity.
We work with lots of technologies, but are currently building front-end systems with TypeScript, React, and other modern tools. Experience with these particular tools is great, but we’re happy to help you learn them and be effective even if you have a different background.
WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO
- You have an eye for building clean, simple systems that other developers will be overjoyed to use.
- You are interested in professional growth for yourself and your team. You take feedback well and give kind, honest feedback to your peers.
- You have a product-focused mindset and are able to put yourself in the customer's shoes and empathize with and anticipate their needs.
- You're always looking for better ways to write software, and you’re enthusiastic about sharing them with your team. You are dedicated to building software sustainably, using modern techniques.
- You have experience with modern front-end frameworks, patterns, and browser technologies that can help the team deliver a great product.
- You’re comfortable working in the front-end, but are interested in the back-end details too
- Your experience with automated testing means we can move quickly.
WHAT YOU BRING TO LOOKER
- Get to build an exciting framework that empowers our customers to build applications based on modern technologies without requiring them to be an expert programmer
- Figure out how to build modular, reusable components that support a wide range of applications with a crisp visual design and a simple API
- Come up with new ways to leverage our powerful analytics engine to make it simpler than ever to build data applications
- Help drive best practices in a modern, responsive web application.
- Foster a culture of code reusability and extensibility.
- Work collaboratively, learn continuously, and make big decisions with your team.
- Safeguard data privacy and application security at enterprise scale.
- Be a part of a supportive, creative environment that will help you succeed and allow you to help others succeed too.
A LITTLE MORE ABOUT LOOKER
Looker is a unified Platform for Data that delivers actionable business insights to every employee at the point of decision. Looker integrates data into the daily workflows of users to allow organizations to extract value from data at web scale. Over 1700 industry-leading and innovative companies such as Sony, Amazon, The Economist, IBM, Spotify, Etsy, Lyft and Kickstarter have trusted Looker to power their data-driven cultures. The company is headquartered in Santa Cruz, California, with offices in San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Boulder, London, Tokyo and Dublin, Ireland. Investors include CapitalG, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Meritech Capital Partners, Redpoint Ventures and Goldman Sachs. For more information, connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube or visit looker.com.
Looker aspires to be a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspective, and background lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users. We encourage you to join us in changing the way businesses use data.