Core Services - Software Engineer - Tech Lead, Back-End
San Francisco Bay Area
Engineering, Product, and Design – Engineering
WHO WE ARE
Looker is on a mission to bring better insights and data-driven decisions to every business. Everything we do is aimed at making sure our customers love every aspect of Looker, from our products and technologies to our ease of doing business and our support. We are looking for curiously brilliant individuals to join our team as we reinvent data analytics. Get data-driven and see yourself at Looker.
WHAT WE'VE GOT GOING ON
Looker is seeking a seasoned back-end engineer who has built a career solving complex problems in the distributed computing and core infrastructure space. We’re building the next generation of our data infrastructure focused on improving the availability, performance, and scale of our world class Business Intelligence platform. This foundational architecture powers and impacts all of our products from SQL query execution, APIs and scheduled jobs to PDF generation.
We are currently working on updating our internal architecture to take advantage of a more service oriented approach. You’ll be leading the charge here, identifying areas that could benefit from horizontal scaling, breaking out those services, and defining the infrastructure necessary to make them successful. We work mostly with JVM powered languages like Kotlin, but are a “right tool for the job” kind of shop. Regardless, we plan to invest in you, so even if you’ve never worked with a JVM backed language we’ll help get you ramped and contributing quickly.
This position is fundamentally about leadership. The work requires strong communication skills, the ability to document a plan of attack, to explain that plan outwardly, and ultimately execute successfully against it. When things stop going according to your plan (and we know they always do!) you handle those changes with ease and communicate their impact appropriately.
You will help drive our long-term technical roadmap, define and lead infrastructure projects, and act as a liaison across teams to ensure your infrastructure projects have maximum product impact. You’ll define internal tooling, monitoring and performance metric gathering techniques to prove out your infrastructure projects, allowing our small team to scale our productivity and remain agile.
WHAT WE NEED YOU TO DO
- Take ownership and lead teams working on large backend architecture projects that support “data hungry” analytics applications
- Be a well-organized systems-thinker and know how to move up and down the ladder of abstraction to talk from low to high levels of resolution
- Work on solutions that operate across cloud environments including AWS, GCP and Azure using technologies like Anthos, Kubernetes and Docker
- Exemplify technical excellence in your design, documentation, and code
- Evangelize the adoption of our infrastructure services within the Looker engineering community
- Proactively participate in and drive technical discussions
- Treat data, performance, and application security as a first principle
WHAT YOU BRING TO LOOKER
- Past experience working in a platform or shared services team
- Proven mastery in the areas of caching, distributed systems, data management systems, and scaling architectures
- An acute understanding of what constitutes delivering a platform with a high degree of technical excellence
- The ability to deliver and review architectural improvements in an iterative fashion
- A strong engineering background, founded in preferred fields such as Computer Science, Mathematics, and Software Engineering
A LITTLE MORE ABOUT LOOKER
Looker is a unified Platform for Data that delivers actionable business insights to every employee at the point of decision. Looker integrates data into the daily workflows of users to allow organizations to extract value from data at web scale. Over 1700 industry-leading and innovative companies such as Sony, Amazon, The Economist, IBM, Spotify, Etsy, Lyft and Kickstarter have trusted Looker to power their data-driven cultures. The company is headquartered in Santa Cruz, California, with offices in San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Boulder, London, Tokyo and Dublin, Ireland. Investors include CapitalG, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Meritech Capital Partners, Redpoint Ventures and Goldman Sachs. For more information, connect with us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube or visit looker.com.
Looker aspires to be a workplace that is not only free of discrimination, but one that fosters inclusion and belonging. We strongly believe that diversity of experience, perspective, and background lead to a better environment for our employees and a better product for our users. We encourage you to join us in changing the way businesses use data.