Director of Project Management, Preclinical Development
Remote/San Francisco /
Research & Development /
Loyal is a Series-A stage company developing drugs to help companion dogs live longer, healthier lives. We apply innovative approaches to tackling aging as a disease that can be slowed and improved with medicines. Loyal is an early stage start-up and is well funded by top venture capitalists and angels.
Loyal is hiring a Director of Project Management, Preclinical Development. You’ll join to oversee project progression and status of preclinical development pipeline projects to ensure timely execution of research projects. Your reporting and feedback to internal stakeholders will ensure that our preclinical research programs are executed efficiently, rapidly, and to the highest quality. This role is for someone who has 99th-percentile organizational skills, is familiar with coordinating across complex technical teams, has excellent ability for scientific and logistical and problem solving, and who possesses high attention to detail.
Loyal is an early-stage company, which means there are no stringent hierarchies, silos or bureaucracy. While you will be initially responsible for overseeing the status, progress and coordination of Loyal pipeline research projects yourself, you will have the opportunity to build out the project and portfolio management department at Loyal. You will also have ample opportunity to work with, learn from, and influence other sides of the company.
Loyal is founded and led by a first-gen, female CEO – we encourage and look forward to diverse applicants.
Your daily work will include:
- Oversee and support the Loyal Preclinical Development Team and the execution of several development pipeline and early stage research projects.
- Maintain R&D Budget tracking and documentation.
- Create effective project management tool-sets to be applied across the team.
- Assist the team in troubleshooting & creative problem solving in order to achieve company goals and timelines.
- Maintain and scale company communications to ensure operational excellence of the preclinical drug development team.
- Work closely with team to ensure scientific research plans abide by key company timelines.
- Work cross-functionally with the Computational Biology, Creative, Clinical Development/Operations and Drug Development teams to prioritize and synergize timelines.
- Persistent and respectful management of internal teams and external partners.
- Clearly communicate status, challenges and progress to the leadership team and internal stakeholders.
How you work and think:
- Gladly participate in a team-oriented culture.
- Ability to navigate cross functional teams and triage issues and roadblocks respectfully.
- Good understanding of how to motivate the team towards ambitious goals and deadlines while also promoting realistic expectation of timelines.
- You need minimal supervision and are able to adapt to the dynamic of a startup environment.
- Detail oriented, disciplined, naturally seek ownership and responsibility, and happy working on a mix of the fascinating and the mundane.
- Professional and clear communicator with the ability to distill out the important information for the relevant stakeholders no matter how complex the scenario.
- Diligent communicator of scientific and logistical topics and challenges.
- Loves to learn and is excited to self-teach topics as relevant to the company and projects.
- Ability to meet or beat rapid deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Concise, logical thinker who can communicate complicated topics with ease.
- Growth mindset, value transparency, seek out feedback and iteration cycles.
Reasons you might not like this role:
- Build and troubleshoot processes from scratch.
- No existing scaffolding/internal team to support initial efforts.
- Fast-paced, rapidly scaling startup environment.
- Ambitious deadlines and complex multi-team projects to track.
- Multitasking/cross-functional coordination across multiple teams.
Education and qualifications
- 4+ years experience managing preclinical drug development programs or projects.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in a STEM field (biology, metabolism, neuroscience, analytical sciences, etc.) is a plus.
- In-depth understanding and experience managing highly effective teams.
- Well-versed in building a high-functioning project management team.
- Adaptability, creativity and high-performer in risk-assessment and strategic thinking.
- Detailed eye for logistics, timelines and strategic planning.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced startup environment with a dynamic team.
- Clear and respectful communication skills.
- Previous experience working with and/or managing external vendors and contract research organizations.
Why join us?
- Full-time position with flexible remote and hybrid work opportunities
- Full coverage platinum health insurance (medical, dental and vision) for you and your dependents
- Generous monthly stipend package for wellness, learning, and fitness
- Stipend for home office set-up
- Flexible paid time off & 28 days of whole company holiday per year
- Paw-ternity leave for pet adoption
- Dog-friendly office
- Generous relocation package
- Welcome kits with Loyal swag
- Our cash compensation amount for this role is targeted at $136,000 - $190,000/yr. Final offer amounts are determined by candidate experience, expertise, and geographic location and may vary slightly from the above mentioned amounts.
Lean into moonshots | We do not settle for incremental change. We have the bravery to take risks and shoot for the impact we want to have.
Opportunity is at the intersection | We lean into combining disciplines, expertises, and perspectives not normally adjacent. We design our organization to facilitate cross-pollination and cross-collaboration. We reject silos.
Expertise without ego | Titles do not determine who has a voice. We work on hard, technical problems and have a ton of fun while at it.
Learning by doing | Our path is novel and many things we are doing have never been done before. We lean into MVPs and are open to unexpected outcomes.
Transparency and rejecting paternalism | We value leading with context. We equip people with the context and background necessary to make their own decisions and act in the best interest of Loyal. Empower team to succeed.
Empathy and respect for all life | Our patients are not just numbers. Our work is intentional, thoughtful, and guided by respect for life. We take our responsibility to pets and pet parents seriously.