Director of Maintenance
Akron, Ohio /
Flight Operations /
We are an aerospace R&D company building experimental and certified airships. We are developing advanced technologies to dramatically increase the capabilities and lower the cost of 21st-century airships.
LTA’s airships will have the ability to complement and even speed up humanitarian disaster response and relief efforts, especially in remote areas that cannot be easily accessed by plane and boat due to limited or destroyed infrastructure. We ultimately aim to create a family of aircraft with zero emissions that, when used for shipping goods and moving people, would substantially reduce the global carbon footprint of aviation.
We’re seeking a Director of Maintenance with experience in the research and development of flight vehicles in Akron, OH. In order to help advance our goal of bringing revolutionary airships to life, the Director of Maintenance will work directly with appropriate company personnel to develop and oversee a rapidly growing maintenance department.
- Ensuring all maintenance is conducted in accordance with engineering data, manufacturer’s publications, and FAA guidelines
- Managing team (expanding to 10+ A&Ps and Avionics Techs), including hiring and personnel allotment/scheduling
- Determining inspection intervals and creating procedures for inspections, installations, and repairs
- Directing the development of manuals and maintenance documents
- Collaborating and effectively communicating with Engineering and Flight Operations teams
- Establishing and maintaining records as required by FARs and company policy
- Ensuring safe maintenance operations and compliance with health and safety policies
- Traveling regularly to California and traveling frequently during airship operations
- Prior experience in a lead maintenance role such as Director of Maintenance or Manager of Maintenance
- Broad knowledge of and experience with the maintenance of R&D, experimental, or prototype aircraft
- A&P certificate or equivalent military experience required
- IA certificate preferred -Bachelor’s Degree or Program Manager Certificate preferred
- Familiarity with Google Suite (Gmail, Drive, Sheets) and other basic technology
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, create solutions, and meet deadlines with little oversight
- Ability to work at heights
- Ability to lift and carry 50 lbs
- Ability to work outside in various weather conditions
Lighter Than Air offers medical, dental, vision, and retirement benefits.
Lighter Than Air is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other discriminatory factors prohibited by law.