Senior Systems Engineer
Akron, Ohio /
Engineering – Systems /
We are an aerospace R&D company building experimental and certified airships. We are developing and manufacturing advanced technologies to dramatically increase the capabilities and lower the cost of 21st-century airships.
LTA’s airships will have the ability to complement and even accelerate humanitarian disaster response and relief efforts, especially in remote areas that cannot be easily accessed by plane and boat due to limited or destroyed infrastructure. We ultimately aim to create a family of aircraft with zero emissions that would substantially reduce the global carbon footprint of aviation when used for shipping goods and moving people.
We are seeking a Systems Engineer to perform model-based systems engineering and help us certify our lighter-than airships.
- Act as the lead subject matter expert in systems engineering at our Akron, OH location
- Develop systems functional/operational requirements and work on airship design synthesis
- Manage systems requirements related to technical risk, including experience with FHA/FMEA/FMECA/FTA/CCA generation
- Perform model-based systems engineering (MBSE) for our fleet of lighter-than-air shipsResolve systems resource conflicts
- Demonstrated configuration management experience
- Perform airship systems analysis and engineering trades
- Act as a key participant in obtaining FAA certification and maintain up-to-date knowledge of certification requirements
- Research and implement the best strategies to obtain FAA certification in design & production
- Assist in developing systems engineering processes within the company
- Provide mentorship to other engineers on their projects as neededLead projects that span multiple engineering disciplines from inception to production
- Support critical path engineering tasks to accomplish production goals as needed
- Experience communicating and collaborating on engineering development tasks with national and international partners
- Bachelor’s Degree in aerospace engineering or related degree
- 5+ years of experience with systems engineering/model-based systems engineering (MBSE)
- Previously managed one or more projects from creation to completion
- Fluent with G-Suite Tools
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Passion for research, discovery, and development over working with established products
- Systems engineering certification(s)
- FAA certification experience
- SolidWorks experience
- Model-based systems engineering tools: Capella, Cameo, or similar
- Requirements-based software experience: DOORS, codebeamer, or similar
- Experience in multiple or broad engineering disciplines
What We Offer!
- Relocation assistance
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance through a PPO plan (100% premium paid for individuals, ~70% for dependents)
- Company-paid life, AD&D, long-term disability, and short-term disability insurances
- Parental leave
- Generous PTO + 10 paid holidays
- 401(k) matching up to 6%
- Lunch and snacks provided every day, including accommodations for all dietary restrictions
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Yearly education stipend to obtain certifications or take classes in your field
- Mental health benefit
- Fun events, swag, and the occasional airship ride
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest and the most talented experts from different fields
- Criminal background check clearance
- Fully vaccinated against COVID
- Drug test clearance wherever applicable
LTA Research & Exploration welcomes all candidates to apply including those with limited experience. We understand that candidates with a growth mindset and passion for working on the next chapter in aviation advancement can outweigh experience alone. We celebrate diverse origins and journeys and understand their importance in developing new technology. Rooted in our humanitarian mission, we want to serve the entire globe and have a team that represents those we wish to serve.
Lighter Than Air is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other discriminatory factors prohibited by law.