Airship Ground Support Crew
Akron, Ohio /
Airship Operations – Ground Operations /
We are an aerospace R&D company building experimental and certified airships. We are developing and manufacturing advanced technologies to dramatically increase the capabilities and lower the cost of 21st-century airships.
LTA’s airships will have the ability to complement and even accelerate humanitarian disaster response and relief efforts, especially in remote areas that cannot be easily accessed by plane and boat due to limited or destroyed infrastructure. We ultimately aim to create a family of aircraft with zero emissions that would substantially reduce the global carbon footprint of aviation when used for shipping goods and moving people.
We are seeking Airship Ground Support Crew team members to assist in the safe flight and operation of our airships.
- Works under the direction of the Crew Chief and assigned team leads, performing duties necessary to maintain safe, efficient operation of the airship.
- Participates in airship launching and landing activities, as well as the ground handling of the airship during hangar exit and entry.
- Tends to airship systems management watch in rotational shifts with coworkers, including overnight shifts when the airship is moored on the mast.
- Drives ground support vehicles pertinent to mission objectives.
- Follows all safety regulations in accordance with company policy and the Department of Transportation.
- Assists airship mechanics and hangar technicians in performing tasks as necessary.
- Performs hangar operations and maintenance support functions as directed.
- Performs ground support equipment (GSE) cleaning and maintenance duties as directed by the Crew Chief and assigned team leads.
- Travels frequently in support of airship operations.
- Represents the company and airship operations in a professional and appropriate manner in all aspects on and off the job.
- Willingness to travel frequently required
- Willingness to work a variable schedule required, which may include holidays and weekends
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Valid driver’s license
- Minimum one year of previous airship operations experience required
- Ability to obtain a Class A CDL
- Must be able to pass a TSA background check
- Ability to work at heights
- Ability to pass and maintain DOT physical and drug/alcohol screening
- Valid Class A CDL preferred
Physical & Compliance Requirements:
- Capable of lifting and transporting up to 50 pounds
- Weight restrictions due to equipment limitations: must be able to work on equipment with a 300 pound weight limitation, with tools weighing an average of 30 pounds (total weight of 270 pounds or less)
- Capable of sitting or standing for long periods of time
- Able to work in outdoor-type weather conditions year-round
- Background check clearance
- DOT/Drug Test clearance
- Clean driving record/MVR clearance
- Fully vaccinated against COVID
What We Offer!
- Relocation assistance
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance through a PPO plan (100% premium paid for individuals, ~70% for dependents)
- Company-paid life, AD&D, long-term disability, and short-term disability insurances
- Parental leave
- Generous PTO + 10 paid holidays
- 401(k) matching up to 6%
- Lunch and snacks provided every day, including accommodations for all dietary restrictions
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Yearly education stipend to obtain certifications or take classes in your field
- Mental health benefit
- Fun events, swag, and the occasional airship ride
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest and the most talented experts from different fields
LTA Research & Exploration welcomes all candidates to apply including those with limited experience. We understand that candidates with a growth mindset and passion for working on the next chapter in aviation advancement can outweigh experience alone. We celebrate diverse origins and journeys and understand their importance in developing new technology. Rooted in our humanitarian mission, we want to serve the entire globe and have a team that represents those we wish to serve.
Lighter Than Air is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other discriminatory factors prohibited by law.