Senior GNC Engineer
Sunnyvale, California /
We are an aerospace R&D company building experimental and certified airships. We are developing advanced technologies to dramatically increase the capabilities and lower the cost of 21st-century airships.
We're seeking a motivated Guidance, Navigation and Controls (GNC) expert to help design a fly-by-wire control system for an experimental ‘lighter than air’ flight vehicle. You will work within a dynamic engineering and design team to conceptualize, rapidly prototype, test and implement flight controllers to safely fly a large experimental flight vehicle. We believe in fast-cycle development with the motto "build a little, test a little, learn a lot." This unique position allows for hand-on participation through all phases of development, from concept to the flight of an experimental aerospace vehicle.
We are seeking a high energy, passionate GNC expert to help build the controls system as well as the dynamics simulator of lighter than air flight vehicles for pilot training.
- Participate in the development and validation of a 6-dof model for the flight vehicle in Matlab and Simulink
- Develop closed loop MIMO flight control model, compute and validate all gains, and analyze the robustness of the flight controller
- Develop hardware in the loop and standalone flight simulator which models sensors, actuators, GNC/Avionics, propulsion, gas flow systems and buoyancy control system
- Participate in integration of control loop into the flight computer
- Research and develop methods for continuous improvement of flight controller
- Lead the development and operation of the pilot training simulator
- BS+ in computer, aerospace or mechanical engineering with strong background in dynamics and control
- 2-5 years experience in a similar role
- Experience in developing and implementing simulations based on flight dynamics and physics
- Proficient in Matlab and Simulink
- Proficient with Git version control
- Strong mathematical skills
- Self-starting with history of project ownership
- Familiar with Model Based Design, Matlab Embedded Coder, and Simulink Test
- Familiar with the dynamics of airships and/or submarines
- Proficient in C, C++, and Python
- Experience developing for embedded systems
- Good understanding of time critical systems (RTOS)
What We Offer!
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest and the most talented experts from different fields
- Growth potential
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance through a PPO plan
- Parental leave
- Flexible time off
- Paid holidays
- 401(k) matching
- Commuter benefits
- Lunch and snacks provided
- Wellness Stipend
- Education Stipend
- Background check clearance
- Drug test clearance wherever applicable
- Fully vaccinated against COVID
Lighter Than Air is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other discriminatory factors prohibited by law.