3D Printing Technician
Akron, Ohio /
Operations – Fabrication /
We are an aerospace R&D company building experimental and certified airships. We are developing and manufacturing advanced technologies to dramatically increase the capabilities and lower the cost of 21st-century airships.
LTA’s airships will have the ability to complement and even accelerate humanitarian disaster response and relief efforts, especially in remote areas that cannot be easily accessed by plane and boat due to limited or destroyed infrastructure. We ultimately aim to create a family of aircraft with zero emissions that would substantially reduce the global carbon footprint of aviation when used for shipping goods and moving people.
We are seeking a 3D Printing Technician to run, maintain, and manage the schedule for our 3D printers.
- Manufacture parts using various 3D printing technologies, being responsible for all parts of the process, including programming, printing, and post processing
- Use SolidWorks to design and develop models for printing
- Validate print files submitted by other users
- Program/operate SLA and FDM machines
- Develop schedules to best optimize printers for full utilization
- Manage incoming work requests and priorities with competing deadlines
- Repair, service, and maintain or schedule maintenance for 40+ 3D printers on a regular basis
- Organize, maintain and re-stock filament supply based on upcoming project needs
- Maintain a structured work space to ensure quality: separating good parts from bad, keeping track of part requests, etc.
- Inspect parts for any visual defects
- Take measurements with calipers
- Collaborate with engineers about printability and recommend production methods
- Act as the owner of a clean and safe work environment for all 3D printing
- High school diploma or GED required; Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in engineering technology or design a plus
- Ability to work hours as needed to maintain the printers - swapping parts on weekends
- 3+ years FDM and SLA 3D printing experience
- Experience with material extrusion 3D printers on a mechanical and hands-on basis (Prusa, Makergear, etc.)
- Experience with slicing software (e.g., Simplify 3D, Cura, Prusa Slicer, Slic3r)
- Ability to identify 3D printing defects and failures, as well as the causes of those defects and failures
- Ability to repair and maintain 3D printers
- SolidWorks or other CAD experience
- Experience with PCs, Microsoft Office Suite Programs (Word, PPT, Excel), and Google Suite programs
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, written, and team collaboration skills
- Ability to evaluate alternative solutions that may require coordination across multiple teams
Physical & Compliance Requirements:
- Capable of lifting and transporting up to 50 pounds
- Capable of sitting or standing for long periods of time
- Able to execute repetitive tasks for an extended period of time
- Criminal background check clearance
- Fully vaccinated against COVID
- Drug test clearance wherever applicable
What We Offer!
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance through a PPO plan (100% premium paid for individuals, ~70% for dependents)
- Company-paid life, AD&D, long-term disability, and short-term disability insurances
- Parental leave
- Generous PTO + 10 paid holidays
- 401(k) matching up to 6%
- Lunch and snacks provided every day, including accommodations for all dietary restrictions
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Yearly education stipend to obtain certifications or take classes in your field
- Mental health benefit
- Fun events, swag, and the occasional airship ride
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest and the most talented experts from different fields
LTA Research & Exploration welcomes all candidates to apply including those with limited experience. We understand that candidates with a growth mindset and passion for working on the next chapter in aviation advancement can outweigh experience alone. We celebrate diverse origins and journeys and understand their importance in developing new technology. Rooted in our humanitarian mission, we want to serve the entire globe and have a team that represents those we wish to serve.
Lighter Than Air is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other discriminatory factors prohibited by law.