Senior Power Electronics Engineer
Sunnyvale, California /
We are an aerospace R&D company building experimental and certified airships. We are developing advanced technologies to dramatically increase the capabilities and lower the cost of 21st-century airships.
We're seeking a motivated Senior Power Electronics Engineer to help build an experimental ‘lighter than air’ flight vehicle. You will work within a dynamic engineering and design team to conceptualize, rapidly prototype, test and implement innovative solutions for the design, fabrication, and assembly of large experimental flight vehicles. We believe in fast-cycle development and approach to flight hardware development with the motto "build a little, test a little, learn a lot." This unique position allows for hand-on participation through all phases of development, from concept to flight of an experimental aerospace vehicle.
We are seeking a high energy and passionate Power Electronics expert to help design and build the power electronics components and power distribution system of lighter than air flight vehicles.
- Modeling and simulation of the power system components and the integrated system
- Design, build, and testing of necessary hardware for the power distribution system
- Integration of the hardware into the power system
- Participate in testing of the integrated power system
- Design and test of necessary PC Boards for power electronics and control systems
- Collaborate with mechanical and firmware engineering teams to successfully design, build, and validate circuit boards
- BS degree in Electrical Engineering
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in power electronics
- Strong understanding of power converters and electric drive systems
- Experience in the designing and building of power electronics converters (buck, boost, flyback, etc.)
- Experience in the designing of dc power distribution system with proper control and protection
- Experience in modeling and simulation of power electronics and electric drive systems
- Experience using MATLAB and MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience in PCB design and its simulations tools
- Proficiency with basic EE tools (Oscilloscopes, Signal Generators, etc.)
- History of start to finish ownership of hardware (design, prototype, and validation)
- Experience with EMI/EMC and electrical signal integrity
- Master or PhD degree in Electrical engineering is preferred
- Knowledge in environmental, reliability, and safety requirements for aerospace applications
- Awareness of certification requirements for power converters in aerospace industry
- Knowledge of basic control theory and experience with embedded programming
- Experience in designing analog/digital circuits and micro-processors
- Experience in implementing different automotive and aerospace communication protocols (CAN, RS232, RS422, RS485 etc)
What We Offer!
- An opportunity to change the world and work with some of the smartest and the most talented experts from different fields
- Growth potential
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance through a PPO plan; parental leave
- Flexible time off + paid holidays
- 401(k) matching Commuter Benefits
- Lunch and snacks provided
- Wellness stipend
- Education Stipend
- Background check clearance
- Drug Test clearance wherever applicable
- Fully vaccinated against COVID
Lighter Than Air is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, veteran status or any other discriminatory factors prohibited by law.