Logistics Compliance Manager
Supply Chain – Logistics
Leading the future of luxury mobility
Lucid’s mission is to inspire the adoption of sustainable energy by creating the most captivating luxury electric vehicles, centered around the human experience. Working at Lucid Motors means having a shared vision to power the future in revolutionary ways. Be part of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to transform the automotive industry.
We are currently seeking a Logistics Compliance Manager. This position requires an experienced professional and is responsible for reviewing, auditing, developing, and implementing the maintenance of internal import/export processes and controls to mitigate risk and ensure compliance with U.S. and international governments on applicable trade
regulations for a global scale automotive manufacturing environment. This position requires a partnership with Supply Chain, QA/QC, Manufacturing, Packaging, Finance, and Regulatory Affairs to implement new processes and manage changes. Our ideal candidate exhibits a can-do attitude and approaches his or her work with vigor and determination.
Candidates will be expected to demonstrate excellence in their respective fields, to possess the ability to learn quickly and to strive for perfection within a fast-paced environment.
- Act as a subject matter expert to ensure operational compliance with the U.S. and international trade compliance laws
- Work in collaboration with internal and external contacts to resolve import/export shipping and compliance issues and keep freight moving in a timely and compliant manner
- Stay abreast of new, amended, or proposed regulatory activities to determine impact to the business objectives; implement necessary program modifications and effectively communicate throughout the organization.
- Remain up to date on current events, such as being able to analyze changing tariffs resulting from changes in the preferential duty programs or additional tariffs that may be levied from time to time. This to include changes in economic status as a result of actions like Brexit
- Responsible for and oversee applicability of NAFTA and other applicable FTA’s determinations
- Manage Free Trade program qualification activities including review, evaluation, validation, approval, and communication.
- Audit Global import transactions for classification use, value, process accuracy.
- Determine product and technology country of origin consistent with customs regulations and requirements.
- Lead, support, and liaise with appropriate parties on import activities to include reviewing invoices, processing post-summary corrections, and interacting with brokers and freight forwarders to ensure compliance with Customs regulations.
- Document internal electronic database used to populate, track, and manage trade authorization data for use by purchasing, finance, logistics, customer service, and sales and marketing.
- Support third party and government-led audits, queries, submissions, disclosures, and reports along with auditing global customs house brokerage operations and develop and/or implement corrective action plan as appropriate.
- Identify and communicate known or potential non-compliance events or activities to Senior Management
- Lead and/or support sourcing compliance activities to include the review of purchase orders for items, country of origin affidavits, and audit internal and external paperwork.
- Manage interactions of trade compliance activities including interaction with third parties to include freight forwarders, customs brokers, logistics providers, and any US or foreign government agencies such as Customs.
- Ensure compliance with the U.S. Customs Regulations, Export Administration regulations, International traffic Regulations as well as other Federal Regulations.
- Collaborate with offices in foreign countries and facilitate international export/import compliance issues.
- Continuously improve the import and export processes with particular focus on cycle time and cost reductions opportunities.
- Apply knowledge, education, and training of C-TPAT, ISF and other trade-related programs to evaluate compliance with applicable regulations.
- Ensure employee understanding of legal regulations and principles relative to the import and export through communication and training.
- Apply an understanding of INCO Terms to educate and execute total landed cost to provide the business with trade-related data to support informed decisions
- Provide leadership in these specific areas:
- Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ):
- Develop and implement FTZ policy and processes for the organization
- Understand the relationship of the FTZ system to the company ERP systems, including shipments, receipts, Customs Set Regulations and Requirements.
- Oversee company compliance with Foreign Trade Zone program, ensuring importation and exportation requirements are met, and minimizing customs fines; duty liabilities
- Develop strong partnerships with Operations and Inventory Control teams to effectively audit and reconcile company inventory
- Develop and manage FTZ operating manual specific to zone operations. Ensure updated copy is on file with CBP at all times.
- Harmonized Tariff System (HTS) Classification:
- Responsible for and oversee the assignment of HTS classifications for imported products and components
- Review and apply the US, Canadian and other regional HTS codes to the product catalog using the Customs Tariff, precedent Rulings andExplanatory Notes
- Create clear product descriptions as required under the Customs Regulations
- Manage, update and maintain the existing HTS database
- Responsible for and oversee the assignment of ECCN determinations and Export License
- determinations/ license application process
- Trade Compliance auditing:
- Review shipment documentation for the consistent and correct usage of HTS Codes, valuation Country of Origin and preferential trade programs
- Conduct post-entry audits and identify entry corrections as needed
- Identify shipments requiring post-entry amendments
- Customs Broker Reviews:
- Use service provider and Customs’ reports to evaluate performance
- Prepare a comprehensive metrics review of Key Performance Indicators
- Identify areas requiring improvement and develop solutions
- Customs transactional issue management:
- Respond to inquiries from Customs Brokers and internal customers and resolve any issues impacting shipments.
- Manage Duty Drawback program:
- Develop and implement complete duty drawback process establishing and communicating all relevant processes and training
- Stay aware of changes in the regulations and modify program as necessary
- File drawback for current exports using in house system.
- Additional Duties Include:
- Responsible to ensure compliance with DOT 49 CFR for road and rail, IATA, IMDG/IMO, ADR (EU), NOM(MX) and TDG(CA) regulations for outbound and inbound transport of Dangerous Goods
- Responsible for supplier guidance on relevant regulated goods
- Communicate and interpret all proposed and enacted legislative activities, including but not limited to Dangerous Goods regulations, EPA, State specific regulations such as California Prop 65, OSHA or storage requirements related to DG or chemicals.
- Determine if products are eligible for applicable trade agreements.
- Develop and update global compliance procedures for use by key business partners.
- Train appropriate personnel on requirements to support international commerce strategy.
- 10+ years total in import/export Trade and Compliance management
- 5+ years direct leadership experience
- Full scope global project management experience
- Automotive industry experience and LEAN manufacturing
- Hazmat transportation and handling know how (certification a plus)
- Compliance experience in manufacturing and finished product procurement environments.
- Experience with any of the following a plus: NAFTA, KORUS, Duty Drawback, AES and EEI; Trade preference programs and Free Trade Agreements
- Experience managing supplier relationships and contract negotiations on Trade Compliance matters
- Environmental and Safety practices and know how
- Working knowledge of international trade, including:
- International Commercial Terms (Incoterms)
- Foreign Trade Zone experience
- Export Control Classification Number (ECCN)
- Title 19 of Code of Federal Regulations (19 CFR)
- US import and export regulations
- HTS classification (HTSUS)
- Customs valuation
- Duty Drawback
- Domestic and international transportation
- International documentation requirements
- High level of analytical ability where problems are complex.
- Demonstrate Strong written and oral Communications.
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects, effective project planning in terms of resources, strategies, cost, and time with the ability to meet project timelines.
- Strong computer proficiency in MS Office applications
- Working knowledge of US ACE system and other trade-related software.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, (Master’s Degree highly desired), in Supply Chain, International Logistics, Trade Compliance, or related field (Purchasing, Business, Operations, Engineering)
Be part of something amazing
Come work alongside some of the most accomplished minds in the industry. Beyond providing competitive salaries, we’re providing a community for innovators who want to make an immediate and significant impact. If you are driven to create a better, more sustainable future, then this is the right place for you.
At Lucid, we don’t just welcome diversity - we celebrate it! Lucid Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, and any other characteristic protected under applicable State or Federal laws and regulations.
To all recruitment agencies: Lucid Motors does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers alias or other Lucid Motors employees. Lucid Motors is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.