Intern, Thermo-fluids engineer, Drive-unit – Summer 2024
Hardware Engineering – Powertrain Engineering /
Leading the future in luxury electric and mobility
At Lucid, we set out to introduce the most captivating, luxury electric vehicles that elevate the human experience and transcend the perceived limitations of space, performance, and intelligence. Vehicles that are intuitive, liberating, and designed for the future of mobility.
We plan to lead in this new era of luxury electric by returning to the fundamentals of great design – where every decision we make is in service of the individual and environment. Because when you are no longer bound by convention, you are free to define your own experience.
Come work alongside some of the most accomplished minds in the industry. Beyond providing competitive salaries, we’re providing a community for innovators who want to make an immediate and significant impact. If you are driven to create a better, more sustainable future, then this is the right place for you.
We are currently seeking an Intern, Thermo-fluids engineer, Drive-unit. This position requires someone who has a deep knowledge of fundamentals of fluid dynamics, heat transfer,CFD analysis and testing.Our ideal candidate exhibits a can-do attitude and approaches their work with vigor and determination. Candidates will be expected to possess the ability to learn quickly and to strive for perfection within a fast-paced environment.
- Work on CFD projects that consist of tasks including but not limited to - CAD modeling, geometry cleanup, meshing and CFD simulations of motor designs. The study may contain a sub-component part, or the full motor design.
- Collaborate with the cross functional teams, including Drive unit design, Electromagnetic, System modeling and Test teams.
- Ability to work on experimental thermo-fluids analysis, which contains tasks related to test setup, calibration, data collection, post-processing, etc.
- Build analytical models related to heat transfer and fluid flow mechanisms around motor thermals and the related components.
- Field(s) of study: Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or related field
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD Degree program at an accredited university
- Proof of enrollment in current or into next program (MS, PhD)
- Fundamental knowledge and passionate history of projects in heat transfer and fluid dynamics
- Understanding of heat transfer modes, fluid network analyses, and 1-D thermal modeling
- In-depth knowledge of Computational Fluid Dynamics fundamentals and experience with CFD tools
- Geometry cleanup skills in a CAD package (SpaceClaim/Discovery/DM preferred)
- Experience with ANSYS Fluent and Workbench for meshing, solving, and post processing
- Understanding of typical e-motor cooling mechanisms
- Excellent communication skills with people of varying technical ability in your field
- Clear and concise documentation practices
- The capability to design experiments to validate your analysis and ideas
- MATLAB, Python and related scripting knowledge
- Experience of fluid dynamics analysis using SPH CFD tools is a plus
- Timing: May- August, or June-September pending class schedules.
- Duration of Internship: Our internship program is 12 weeks; the end date is flexible based on individual needs.
- Work Location & Environment: This position will be in Newark, CA, and is fully in-person. The working environment will be a mix of lab & office work.
- Relocation: One round trip flight to the assigned work location from/to permanent residence.
- Housing/Transportation: You must provide your own living arrangements and transportation in the local area.
- Background Check: All offers of employment are contingent on clearing a background check.
- Drug Screening: All offers of employment are contingent on passing a drug screen.
- Medical benefits: Dental and vision on day 1 for all interns working 32+ hours a week; medical for interns in California working 32+ hours a week.
Lucid maintains your privacy according to its Candidate Privacy Notice. If you are a California resident, please refer to our California Candidate Privacy Notice.
At Lucid, we don’t just welcome diversity - we celebrate it! Lucid Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, and any other characteristic protected under applicable State or Federal laws and regulations.
To all recruitment agencies: Lucid Motors does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers alias or other Lucid Motors employees. Lucid Motors is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.