Data Scientist, Advanced Motor Technology
Newark, CA /
Hardware Engineering – Powertrain Engineering /
Leading the future in luxury electric and mobility
At Lucid, we set out to introduce the most captivating, luxury electric vehicles that elevate the human experience and transcend the perceived limitations of space, performance, and intelligence. Vehicles that are intuitive, liberating, and designed for the future of mobility.
We plan to lead in this new era of luxury electric by returning to the fundamentals of great design – where every decision we make is in service of the individual and environment. Because when you are no longer bound by convention, you are free to define your own experience.
Come work alongside some of the most accomplished minds in the industry. Beyond providing competitive salaries, we’re providing a community for innovators who want to make an immediate and significant impact. If you are driven to create a better, more sustainable future, then this is the right place for you.
We are currently seeking a Data Scientist for the Advanced Motor Technology Team. This position requires a passionate systems modeler and data analyst with a desire to understand things both in depth and at a systems level. They will work with people from across the company to help accelerate world leading efficiency, performance, and packaging. Our ideal candidate exhibits a can-do attitude and is determined to improve. They don’t just learn how to do things; they learn why something is the way it is and find ways to make it better. They are not afraid to be wrong but have a thirst for knowledge and the progression of engineering. Candidates will strike a balance between detail and timeliness and document as they go.
- Investigate data collected from vehicles, drive units, and bench tests for performance, reliability, and repeatability.
- Setup processes with the in-house data team to log interesting metrics and analyze single component/vehicle & fleet performance.
- Plan and execute bench tests to further investigate physical phenomena of interest.
- Collaborate across all vehicle and company teams, placing priority on the greater benefit of the vehicle above any one individual system.
- Knowledge of and passionate interest in Thermo-mechanical analysis, data analysis, visualization, and Programming.
- Strong understanding fundamental physics and its application to real world problems.
- Experience in batch data processing, cleaning, visualizing, and developing advanced physics-based data analysis models and heuristics.
- Ability to write and maintain clean and reusable code.
- Mistakes that you have learned from and aren’t afraid to talk about.
- Excellent communication skills with people of varying technical ability in your field.
- A strong desire to create the very best product, working as an integral part of a very capable team.
- Strong documentation practices.
- Knowledge of Python, Git, numpy, and pandas.
- Relevant experience outside of college or internships i.e. home projects or at work.
- Additional fields of experience (electromagnetics, structural statics/dynamics, fluid dynamics, material science, LIN/CAN communication).
- Experience in: Labview, CANape, or other engineering test software
- SQL, scikit-learn, Apache Spark, Airflow, plotly, MATLAB.
- Relevant experience in EV or Automotive industry is a plus.
- Masters Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Salary Range: The compensation range for this position is specific to the locations listed below and is the range Lucid reasonably and in good faith expects to pay for the position taking into account the wide variety of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions, including job-related knowledge; skillset; experience, education and training; certifications; and other relevant business and organizational factors.
· California (Bay Area) - $108,000 - $148,000
Additional Compensation and Benefits: Lucid offers a wide range of competitive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability insurance, vacation, and 401k. The successful candidate may also be eligible to participate in Lucid’s equity program and/or a discretionary annual incentive program, subject to the rules governing such programs. (Cash or equity incentive awards, if any, will depend on various factors, including, without limitation, individual and company performance.)
Lucid maintains your privacy according to its Candidate Privacy Notice. If you are a California resident, please refer to our California Candidate Privacy Notice.
At Lucid, we don’t just welcome diversity - we celebrate it! Lucid Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, and any other characteristic protected under applicable State or Federal laws and regulations.
Notice regarding COVID-19 protocols
At Lucid, we prioritize the health and wellbeing of our employees, families, and friends above all else. In response to the novel Coronavirus all new Lucid employees, whose job will be based in the United States may or may not be required to provide original documentation confirming status as having received the prescribed inoculation (doses). Vaccination requirements are dependent upon location and position, please refer to the job description for more details.
Individuals in positions requiring vaccinations may seek a medical and/or religious exemption from this requirement and may be granted such an accommodation after submitting a formal request to and the subsequent review and approval thereof by our dedicated Covid-19 Response team.
To all recruitment agencies: Lucid Motors does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers alias or other Lucid Motors employees. Lucid Motors is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.