Engineer, High Voltage Battery Safety
Newark, CA /
Hardware Engineering – Battery Lab & Algorithms /
Leading the future in luxury electric and mobility
At Lucid, we set out to introduce the most captivating, luxury electric vehicles that elevate the human experience and transcend the perceived limitations of space, performance, and intelligence. Vehicles that are intuitive, liberating, and designed for the future of mobility.
We plan to lead in this new era of luxury electric by returning to the fundamentals of great design – where every decision we make is in service of the individual and environment. Because when you are no longer bound by convention, you are free to define your own experience.
Come work alongside some of the most accomplished minds in the industry. Beyond providing competitive salaries, we’re providing a community for innovators who want to make an immediate and significant impact. If you are driven to create a better, more sustainable future, then this is the right place for you.
Lucid’s mission is to inspire the adoption of sustainable energy by creating the most captivating luxury electric vehicles, centered around the human experience. Working at Lucid Motors means having a shared vision to power the future in revolutionary ways. Be part of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to transform the automotive industry.
We are seeking an engineer to design, perform, and evaluate safety and abuse tests on li-ion battery modules and packs. This position requires an individual with tangible engineering experience and excellent hands-on and practical skills. Our ideal candidate exhibits top-notch problem-solving skills and enjoys adapting to unforeseen challenges in the field. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate excellence in their respective fields, a thirst for deeper understanding, and both the confidence to defend themselves and humility to ask questions.
- Formulate and execute safety experiments to study the response to various thermal, electrical, mechanical, and environmental abuses.
- Prepare test samples, instruments, and data acquisition systems for novel, creative test procedures, maximizing the learnings with the available time and resources.
- Analyze data and media to effectively distill core findings of a complex experiment to a broader audience within the battery team.
- Invent and innovate equipment and systems to improve the team's ability to test challenging parameters and simulate specific scenarios.
- Contribute to creating a documentation system for specifications and project test results.
- Attend testing in offsite facilities, supporting logistics, setup, execution, data collection, documentation, and clean-up.
- Hands on experience with testing equipment.
- Flexibility to think/make decisions quickly and improvise to solve problems encountered during test campaigns.
- Able to make clear, detailed test-plan.
- High level of mathematical and data analysis capabilities.
- Excellent communication skills and team-oriented attitude.
- Comfortable with initiating and taking ownership of projects.
- Flexibility to work in a fast-paced startup environment with frequent prioritization adjustments.
- Specific experience with battery engineering and testing.
- Experience working with high-voltage, high current systems.
- Proficient with a statistical programming language for data analysis and designing experiments
- Experience with Atlassian, Jira and Confluence
- Knowledge of abuse test standards and regulations: SAE J2929, SAE J2464, UL 1642, IEC 62660, IEC 62133, GB 38031, UN 38.3, GB/T 31485
- A history of working independently with limited oversight or input once a base understanding has been established
- Experience with CAD in at least one professional 3D CAD package, preferably Catia (V5 or V6) with the ability to generate drawings
- Experience of in basic fabrication and an ability to communicate effectively with machine shop staff
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in relevant engineering field (mechanical, aerospace, electrical, chemical, materials) or science (chemistry, physics).
At Lucid, we don’t just welcome diversity - we celebrate it! Lucid Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, and any other characteristic protected under applicable State or Federal laws and regulations.
Notice regarding COVID-19 protocols
At Lucid, we prioritize the health and wellbeing of our employees, families, and friends above all else. In response to the novel Coronavirus all new Lucid employees, whose job will be based in the United States may or may not be required to provide original documentation confirming status as having received the prescribed inoculation (doses). Vaccination requirements are dependent upon location and position, please refer to the job description for more details.
Individuals in positions requiring vaccinations may seek a medical and/or religious exemption from this requirement and may be granted such an accommodation after submitting a formal request to and the subsequent review and approval thereof by our dedicated Covid-19 Response team.
To all recruitment agencies: Lucid Motors does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers alias or other Lucid Motors employees. Lucid Motors is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.