Director, Embedded Software Systems
Newark, CA /
Electronics & Software – Leadership /
Leading the future of luxury mobility
Lucid’s mission is to inspire the adoption of sustainable energy by creating the most captivating luxury electric vehicles, centered around the human experience. Working at Lucid Motors means having a shared vision to power the future in revolutionary ways. Be part of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to transform the automotive industry.
We are currently seeking a leader for our embedded software team. The Director of Embedded Software Engineering will report to the VP of Engineering and provide technical, process and strategic leadership for Lucid Motor's embedded software team. This position requires an experienced professional with expertise in building a world class organization to deliver the highest quality software for our embedded systems platform. You will lead the software development life cycle methodology and drive the integration of software and hardware for a very complex system. Our ideal candidate exhibits a can-do attitude and approaches his or her work with vigor and determination. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate excellence in their respective fields, to possess the ability to learn quickly and to strive for perfection within a fast-paced environment.
- Oversee all software and firmware development for the engineering organization working on vehicle and body controls, motor control, and battery management systems
- Build, manage and lead a world class software development organization leveraging both internal engineering talent along with outside development partners
- Work closely with key stakeholders including hardware engineering, product management, program management, finance, operations, and external partners
- Provide guidance to executive leadership team on critical technology decisions
- Drive continuous improvement of our Product Development Lifecycle
- Enhance our Continuous Integration build process
- Work with our DevOps team to implement a Continuous Improvement practice
- Work closely with SQA leadership to implement feature validation processes
- Define and maintain progress metrics to keep team and management up-to-date on status, KPIs, risk and mitigation plans
- Work closely with our internal program management office (PMO) to execute predictable software release cycles and diligently manage project workload and resource planning
- Work with Systems Architecture, Design, and Product Management teams to define technology roadmap and scope development effort
- Identify, evaluate, qualify, select and manage third-party software development firms to augment and scale the core team
- Build and mentor leadership throughout the organization; establish a culture of ownership and accountability
- Lead team to efficiently deliver high quality code and features on-time and on-budget
- Foster cross-functional collaboration and productivity and effectively manage conflicts
- Build a fun productive working environment within a culture of intense collaboration
- Ensure team organization, individual development, and accountability are consistent with corporate values and policies
- 20+ years embedded systems experience with at least 5+ years in a senior management role
- Experience working in an Agile software development process operating within a larger organization with a variety of development methodologies
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing product delivery best practices
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional and proven leadership skills
- Experience managing internal and external software resources.
- Proven track record of delivering multiple high-quality products for the consumer and automotive markets
- Expertise in designing and optimizing the key system characteristics of usability, performance, scalability, and security
- Experience with embedded Linux and Android projects at all levels: kernel, middleware, and application
- Experience with test automation for full-stack software development
- Experience with electrical/electronic hardware development and manufacturing methods and standards
- Experience with software test methodologies, test planning, test automation, test tooling, and quality standards and metrics
- A strategic viewpoint coupled with a highly organized , methodical temperament
- Passion for excellence and quality
- Extensive management experience including technical, administrative, and organizational activities
- Demonstrated ability to continually grow and develop yourself and your team.
- High energy and excellent interpersonal skills
- B.S minimum in the areas of Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or other related fields
- Experience with projects involving significant cloud service backends
- IoT, wearable, digital assistant, smart connected and devices/consumer electronics
- EVs and connected vehicles
- Experience with APSICE, ISO 26262, or other automotive software and product development processes
- Experience working with regulatory agencies
- MS or Ph.D in software, electrical, computer engineering or similar
Be part of something amazing
Come work alongside some of the most accomplished minds in the industry. Beyond providing competitive salaries, we’re providing a community for innovators who want to make an immediate and significant impact. If you are driven to create a better, more sustainable future, then this is the right place for you.
At Lucid, we don’t just welcome diversity - we celebrate it! Lucid Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, and any other characteristic protected under applicable State or Federal laws and regulations.
To all recruitment agencies: Lucid Motors does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers alias or other Lucid Motors employees. Lucid Motors is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.