Director, Tax (Reporting and Compliance)
Finance & Accounting – Accounting /
Leading the future in luxury electric and mobility
At Lucid, we set out to introduce the most captivating, luxury electric vehicles that elevate the human experience and transcend the perceived limitations of space, performance, and intelligence. Vehicles that are intuitive, liberating, and designed for the future of mobility.
We plan to lead in this new era of luxury electric by returning to the fundamentals of great design – where every decision we make is in service of the individual and environment. Because when you are no longer bound by convention, you are free to define your own experience.
Come work alongside some of the most accomplished minds in the industry. Beyond providing competitive salaries, we’re providing a community for innovators who want to make an immediate and significant impact. If you are driven to create a better, more sustainable future, then this is the right place for you.
The Director of Tax Reporting and Compliance is a proven professional that is responsible for Lucid’s US tax compliance and SEC reporting and accounting for income taxes.
The Director of Tax Reporting and Compliance is a key leader in Lucid’s tax department and collaborates with many individuals and organizations throughout the global company. This position will develop and refine best practices in terms of the global income tax provision, domestic tax return process as well as miscellaneous business tax compliance and tax technology. Success in this role is dependent on application of expertise in ASC 740 gained through Big 4 and industry experience, demonstrated strong leadership, project management, effective 360 degree communication, organization/people development, hands-on approach, ability to manage change and drive process improvements, and strong tactical execution plus strategic understanding and ability to perform in a high growth business environment while gaining the respect and trust of business partners.
This position is a people manager role reporting to the Global Head of Tax and located at Lucid Headquarters in Newark, CA.
- Provide exemplar leadership and business acumen, as a tone-setting senior member of the tax leadership team.
- Lead, design and operate outsourced tax reporting and compliance capabilities for a start up in high growth stage.
- Build and primary reporting process and establish method of accounting and process for primary tax methods of accounting and technical accounting memos supporting book/tax differences.
- Establish and maintain formal tax policies, practices and procedures to ensure US GAAP compliance and effective internal controls with Sarbanes-Oxley compliance.
- Lead accounting for income tax process for the US and international subsidiaries, including tax account reconciliations and systems books and records for legal entities and consolidation.
- Implement and manage internal processes to claim tax incentives and credits for capital investments, training, and development of target products to for local, state and federal grants and credits related to EVs and clean energy provisions under the IRA of 2022.
- Implement and manage internal processes to claim federal and state R&D credits.
- Manager state income tax structure, nexus, expansion of state activities, and state grants.
- Monitor legislative changes in US and foreign tax laws that may impact the Company’s tax positions, including tax accounting implications.
- Proven ability to understand and research complex tax issues and document in memorandum to files and yet communicate to senior executive in a crisp, direct communication style.
- Lead interaction with external auditors with primary interaction with external tax auditors - manage US federal and state income tax filings and audits.
- Partner with internal team on international tax matters to understand impact on tax reporting.
- Manage relationship and workflow with outside tax consultants and advisors.
- Perform benchmarking exercises with peer companies.
- Apply prior experience and knowledge in finding effective solutions.
- Develop tax technology road map including adopting compliance and research tools, reporting and compliance systems and robotics, AI applications and tax systems.
- Actively invest in self and team through reading tax updates and regularly attend outside tax technical training.
- Execute staff development plans and coach others.
- Develop overviews and summary communications for non-tax professionals and executive management.
- Oversee and/or complete special projects as required.
- Manage department budget, purchasing and spending process for cost management.
- Manage department subscription tools for tax research.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting.
- Master’s degree in Taxation from an accredited university preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), can be inactive.
- Minimum of 10 years total of corporate tax experience.
- Minimum of 4 years Public accounting firm (i.e. Big 4), rendering corporate tax advisory and audit services including income tax accounting. National office experience preferred.
- Must have minimum of 4 years strong leading an internal income tax function.
- Demonstrated expertise as subject matter expert in ASC740, ASC450 and US tax technical matters.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills for executive and working team communications.
- Strong written communication skills for internal memorandum and presentation slides. Three writing samples required.
- Proven success in leading a team of people using a collaborative management style in a growing multi-national public company environment.
- Proactive and visible work style and takes ownership and responsibility for assigned responsibilities.
- Experience managing decentralized workflows and support from foreign team members.
- Experience in supporting payroll and benefits taxes related to business travel, employee use of company assets and products, share based compensation, imputed income, and executive compensation.
- Excellent time and project management, and execution skills.
- Experience in process improvement and design.
- Adept at prioritization, responsiveness and understanding sense of urgency in a timeline driven environment.
- Ability to work a flexible work schedule as required to liaise with foreign colleagues in different time zones.
- Demonstrated ability to set and accomplish goals in an organized manner with effective tools.
- Experience with SAP enterprise software, Corp tax return system and other tax compliance tools.
Salary Range: The compensation range for this position is specific to the locations listed below and is the range Lucid reasonably and in good faith expects to pay for the position taking into account the wide variety of factors that are considered in making compensation decisions, including job-related knowledge; skillset; experience, education and training; certifications; and other relevant business and organizational factors.
· California (Bay Area) - $185,000-$264,000
Additional Compensation and Benefits: Lucid offers a wide range of competitive benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, disability insurance, vacation, and 401k. The successful candidate may also be eligible to participate in Lucid’s equity program and/or a discretionary annual incentive program, subject to the rules governing such programs. (Cash or equity incentive awards, if any, will depend on various factors, including, without limitation, individual and company performance.)
Lucid maintains your privacy according to its Candidate Privacy Notice. If you are a California resident, please refer to our California Candidate Privacy Notice.
At Lucid, we don’t just welcome diversity - we celebrate it! Lucid Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, and any other characteristic protected under applicable State or Federal laws and regulations.
To all recruitment agencies: Lucid Motors does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers alias or other Lucid Motors employees. Lucid Motors is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.