Packaging Design Engineer
Newark, CA /
Supply Chain – Logistics /
Leading the future of luxury mobility
Lucid’s mission is to inspire the adoption of sustainable energy by creating the most captivating luxury electric vehicles, centered around the human experience. Working at Lucid Motors means having a shared vision to power the future in revolutionary ways. Be part of a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to transform the automotive industry.
We are currently seeking a Packaging Design Engineer. This position requires an experienced professional with the ability to architect from scratch the entire Packaging/Containerization strategy for a global automaker. The successful candidate will have hands on expertise developing packaging systems and protocols on a global scale in an automotive manufacturing environment. In addition, the role includes developing cost effective solutions, developing secondary packaging systems, establishing contract packaging organizations (CP0s), and qualifying shipping solutions. This position requires partnership with Supply Chain, QA/QC, Manufacturing, Engineering, Finance, and
Regulatory Affairs to implement new processes and manage changes. Our ideal candidate exhibits a can-do attitude and approaches his or her work with vigor and determination. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate excellence in their respective fields, to possess the ability to learn quickly and to strive for perfection within a fast-paced environment.
- Propose, evaluate, and implement packaging and shipping container systems based upon understanding of customer requirements, plant operation processes, logistics, distribution, warehousing, and regulatory requirements.
- Establish packaging strategy at the commodity level part numbers for new product introductions, cost savings, or other supply chain improvement
- Develop benchmarking methodology and execute assessments across the manufacturing footprint within North America with replication globally
- Implement process improvements jointly with packaging vendors and purchasing
- Assist in vendor selection and management for packaging materials and services
- Perform design analysis, computer simulations, and packaging validation testing of packaging and container designs.
- Create and release material and packaging specifications for new products, and changes to existing products.
- Provide single point Packaging Engineering technical leadership and direction for plant operations and product lines.
- Provide technical packaging direction to various levels of the organization, other functional disciplines, including: quality, operations, supply chain, purchasing, manufacturing, logistics, marketing and sales, and outside design and manufacturing sources.
- Collaborate with external standards organizations in packaging to stay informed of new trends and technology that can apply to the organization
- 9+ years total in Package Engineering with thorough knowledge of Supply Chain systems and processes
- 5+ years of related automotive industry experience
- 5+ years direct leadership experience
- 2+ years full scope global project management experience
- In depth knowledge of materials, processes, and application of these as used in shipping container and packaging system design.
- High level of analytical ability where problems are complex.
- Demonstrate Strong written and oral Communications.
- High level of interpersonal skills to work effectively with others.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects, effective project planning in terms of resources, strategies, cost, and time with ability to meet project timelines.
- Experience in Packaging testing standards (ASTM, ISTA)
- Proficient computer skills in MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, and 3D modeling software (i.e. Pro-E)
- Willing to travel to remote sites as needed for container development, implementation, and packaging quality issue resolution.
- Ability to recognize issues or potential barriers.
- Bachelor's Degree required, (Master's Degree highly desired), in technical packaging engineering & design or a related Engineering field
- Minor or supplemental education in Global Supply Chain highly desired.
Be part of something amazing
Come work alongside some of the most accomplished minds in the industry. Beyond providing competitive salaries, we’re providing a community for innovators who want to make an immediate and significant impact. If you are driven to create a better, more sustainable future, then this is the right place for you.
At Lucid, we don’t just welcome diversity - we celebrate it! Lucid Motors is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, national or ethnic origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, and any other characteristic protected under applicable State or Federal laws and regulations.
To all recruitment agencies: Lucid Motors does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our careers alias or other Lucid Motors employees. Lucid Motors is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.