Melbourne, Australia /
VFX – ANIM /
This position reports into the Animation Director based in Santa Monica.
Please note that this position will need to be held during Melbourne's studio hours of Monday to Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm AEST. If you reside interstate or overseas, the team requires you to offset your hours to match the studio.
- Manage a team of animators within established timeframes
- Assign tasks, supervise and review the work of the Animation team providing creative and technical coaching of team members
- Help set the animation quality bar for the studio and each project
- Work closely with the rigging/character modeling teams to maximize our animation and character performance potential
- Actively promote and communicate sound solutions to technical and creative issues related to animation
- Maintain and communicate a strong knowledge of innovative production technologies and the capabilities/limitations of these technologies as they relate to project goals
- Mentor and lead by example less experienced artists, providing them with support, guidance, and instruction in areas that provide for their artistic and professional growth
- Meet project deadlines/milestones, as set by the production department
- Organise team/department meetings where necessary
- Assist production in other parts of the pipeline if needed
- Consistently exercises sound judgment in all areas of performance
- Demonstrate a broad range of character animation and acting skills. This includes a deep understanding of the principles of animation, and how to best employ those principles to create performance that supports both the characters and story goals of the show.
- Minimum five years experience in VFX Animation production
- Three or more titles as an Animation Supervisor or five as a Lead Animator
- A solid grasp on the principles of motion, timing, anticipation, follow-through, squash and stretch, forward/inverse kinematics, and other facets of both 2D and 3D animation
- A creative eye and aesthetic judgement with a deep understanding of the principles of cinematography, composition and cinematic design
- A vast understanding of anatomy, rigging, CG lighting, rendering, compositing
- Exceptional skill in animating the human bipedal figure as well as other organic forms
- Positive attitude and proven interpersonal skills
- Strong technical mind
- Great creative sensibilities
- A strong work ethic with a "get it done" attitude
- A meticulous attention to detail
- Solid time-management skills and ability to multitask across multiple projects
- An ability to take direction positively, work well within a team and thrive under the pressure of tight deadlines
- Expert knowledge of Maya required
- Willingness to learn new things
- Experience with RV and Motion Capture (preferred)
As much as we love receiving emails, you can imagine that we get a lot! So, please submit your application by clicking on the "Apply Now" button below to ensure our team receives it. We will reach out to you if we believe you're a good fit.
Any emails that claim to be from our recruiting team but have aliases that don't end in @lumapictures.com should be reported as spam.