Senior Backend Software Engineer (Remote)
Charlottesville, VA /
Software Product Engineering – Software /
Lumin lets people take control of their home energy.
How? We believe that buildings of the future will be acting as independent microgrids interacting with each other and the larger grid. To achieve this vision we have built the most affordable and flexible energy management platform and coupled it with the software empowered by the largest, and ever-growing, energy dataset.
At Lumin, you will find yourself at the cutting edge of the distributed energy industry with products at the intersection of hardware and software, contributing to the decarbonization of the world.
Everyone on our team is passionate about what we do! Does this sound like you?
- Working, with purpose, to make our society more energy efficient
- Enjoys being part of a rapidly growing team, and seeing how all parts of the business work
- Is excited to develop a team of like-minded individuals
As a backend software engineer at Lumin, you will be enhancing the functionality of the Lumin API and its underlying systems. You will design, build, test, and support core application features, such as:
- Configuring, measuring, and controlling active circuits within a home using the Lumin smart panel
- Automations that can dynamically react and control to changing power usage and conditions
- Providing rich insight into historical usage data via the Lumin smart cloud
- Connecting to 3rd party APIs for other energy and smart home systems
You'll be responsible for:
- Adding, enhancing and fixing core product features for use by the Lumin app and partner products
- Helping evolve the software architecture to one that is more flexible, scalable and powerful
- Work directly with product management, platform development, support and other teams in a small, closely knit team to solve both product-wide and user-specific problems
- Adopt and help evolve our software best practices
- Help troubleshoot and resolve production incidents
- Be a visionary in how we can evolve our software platform to meet the growing usage and development of the Lumin product
We're excited about you because you have:
- Strong software engineering background, across multiple languages, environments and domains (at least 5 years real-world experience)
- Stellar communication skills
- Ability to work on a small, loosely coupled team and wear a lot of hats
- Experience in building robust and intuitive REST services
- Experience with Go preferred (but not required)
- Strong discipline around testing
- Good habits around instrumentation, logging & alerting
- Good intuitions around modeling relational data
- Working knowledge of how electrical systems work within a home is a plus!
On-site or remote candidates are welcomed!
Why join our team?
Lumin offers competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package to all full-time, regular staff. Lumin fosters a healthy work/life balance by providing a flexible work environment.
Our benefits package includes:
- 401(k) with Traditional and Roth options
- Unlimited Paid Time Off, with a recommended three-week minimum
- Additional 12 weeks paid time off for parental or medical leave
- Annual Tuition/Professional Development Assistance
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance. Lumin covers 90% of the employee premium and 50% of all dependent premium costs
- Company-paid Long Term Disability and Basic Life Insurance
- Additional Voluntary Life Insurance
- Free Lumin Smart Panel for your home
- $300 annually toward tax preparation services
- Company equity incentive program
We do ask that you apply with either your resume or your LinkedIn Profile! A cover letter is not required but is highly recommended!
Lumin is an equal opportunity employer.
United by our passion and empowered by our differences, Lumin is building a platform to accelerate the world’s adoption of clean energy. We strive to provide a safe environment, where all of the people working to fulfill our mission are equally welcomed, accepted, and celebrated. We will continuously work to engage all of the communities we serve because the future of renewable energy must be inclusive of everyone. If you are interested in learning more, we would love to hear from you!