Senior Associate - Veteran Health Innovation
New York, New York /
Strategy - VA /
We are a strategy and innovation consultancy that helps organizations thrive in the face of change. Thorny problems are our strong suit.
We’re a team of consultants who are energized by big, messy problems. We are strategists, analysts, designers, and editors who bring agility and flexibility to projects focused on stemming chronic disease, closing the skills gap, rethinking the future of work, supporting digital transformations, using data to make smart cities safer, developing sustainable business models, and making moonshot investments.
We help companies thrive in the face of change. Our clients are “innovation mavericks” — leaders inside global corporations, nonprofits, and federal agencies who are tasked with helping their organizations adapt to the technological, economic, political, and social norms of the 21st century. We’re the strategy and innovation consultants they call when there’s no playbook for the problem they’re trying to solve.
Our future of health practice has been an integral part of Luminary Labs since its founding, whether advising pharmaceutical clients on where to place bets “beyond the pill,” rapid prototyping for healthcare organizations looking to design digital services, or expediting innovation through the development of prizes and accelerators.
We have an equal appreciation for strategy and execution. We offer our clients the upfront thinking that goes into careful strategy development and can become partners in execution to ensure those strategies are implemented.
We believe that career choices are not binary; you can have a challenging and rewarding career as part of a high-performing team and also live your life. Our clients appreciate that we bring the highest level of excellence to everything we do, and our team appreciates that we are extraordinarily efficient so that you aren’t expected to be online later.
Please note: for employment at Luminary Labs, you must be fully vaccinated (including booster) for COVID-19 to ensure compliance with enhanced health and safety protocols.
Luminary Labs seeks a consultant to help with our growing work with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and other organizations at the intersection of public health and our nation’s Veterans. Previously, Luminary Labs has collaborated with the VA on projects such as Mission Daybreak.
You are known for your consulting chops and strong client EQ, having worked with and for leaders as a trusted advisor implementing high-profile and large-scale programs. You have experience with the U.S. military or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in some capacity — perhaps these organizations have been your clients, or maybe you or your family member served. You have incredible attention to detail and can build and run a project plan in your sleep. You are independent, ready to take on tricky projects, and able to autonomously guide clients towards a solution.
You are enthusiastic about open innovation and the broad playing field it provides. You care about the impact your work has on the world and have been looking for a career path that is both high-performance and high-impact. You are passionate about working at the intersection of emerging technologies and the problems that matter.
Roles and responsibilites
- Lead Key Work Streams. Own project work plans, from conducting market, competitive, and digital analysis and research to developing and launching open innovation challenge programs. Manage junior team members on work streams to ensure high-quality execution, and effective managing up of key deliverables
- Serve as a Client Champion. Earn respect and trust of our clients to serve as a go-to point-of-contact. Maintain empathy and perseverance to make change in large organizations
- Connect the Dots. Quickly get up to speed on new client industries, and keep your finger on the pulse of incumbents and newcomers. Identify key nodes in any given industry network, participate in industry events, stay abreast of relevant news and trends, tap into the network to drive value for our clients, and contribute to thought leadership work
- Communicate the Vision. Craft presentations and storytelling, both internally and with clients, leveraging the team’s insight and analysis. Contribute to strategy formulation and help to create “the big idea” for our clients
- Drive Business Growth. Support the development of new business proposals and pitches and deepen value with existing clients. Support company growth by participating in the ongoing recruitment of talent
Desired Skills and Experience
- MBA or Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- 4-5+ years experience working with clients or teams who trust you implicitly; 2-3+ years of client services experience preferred
- A plus, but not required: lived, proximal experience in the U.S. military and/or the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs — including experience as a family member or loved one of a Veteran
- Demonstrated work and/or educational experience in synthesizing data, drawing meaningful insights, and providing actionable strategies; an understanding of best uses and constraints of digital analytics measurement is a plus
- Exhibit leadership qualities, knowing how to effectively bridge work flow between senior and junior team members to maximize productivity and efficiency
- Exceptional attention to detail - quick to catch internal inconsistencies in documents and strong ability to recall key insights and decisions that impact project thinking
- Good technological literacy and ability to quickly navigate the full functionality of tools like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Dropbox, and Google Docs
- Early adopter of emerging technology for networking and intelligence gathering
- Stellar communication and presentation skills with a high EQ, demonstrating an ability to strike the right tone with clients in e-mails and verbal communications
- Ability to structure thinking in an easy to follow manner
- Strong numeracy; Excel skills a plus
- Are super-flexible, adaptable, realistic, practical, and agile
- Thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
Investing in our people is a high priority. Benefits include:
- Competitive compensation and formal bonus structure
- Health benefits package (80% of premium is covered for health, dental, and vision)
- Competitive vacation package
- Paid family leave
- 401k plan with matching
- Pre-tax transit check
- Cell-phone reimbursement
- Fitness reimbursement
- Education stipend and growth opportunities
- Charitable donation matching
- Opportunities to mentor and be mentored
Does this sound like you?
Please submit your resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, tell us why you want to work at Luminary Labs, and describe three examples of ideas, companies, or teams that you consider to be at the forefront of innovation. Let us know your availability for employment. If available, please include examples of your own work or thinking online (blog posts, Slideshare examples).
Candidates must be authorized to work in the US. No agencies please.
The total compensation package for this role includes a base salary in the range of $95,000 to $110,000 plus a discretionary annual performance bonus. The starting salary for this role is at the lower bound of the salary range; an individual's starting salary will depend on the individual’s relevant knowledge, skills, and experience.