Software Development Manager - Solver Engineering
Redwood City, CA /
Engineering – Solver Engineering /
Luminary Cloud is a well-funded Series A startup that is building the world’s best cloud-based physics simulation solution to empower engineers to rapidly iterate and test their products. We are currently looking for a software development manager to support leadership in the management of the physics and meshing teams in the engineering organization and the many product features that are part of our roadmap.
The position will involve day-to-day line and project management of a high-performing, highly-motivated team along with building and sustaining productive working relationships across the engineering, design and program management organizations. Along with project and program management duties to ensure high-quality delivery on commitments, the role will involve recruiting and hiring new team members, ensuring an inspiring and engaging work environment, and building a team culture centered on our corporate values: being Entrepreneurial, ensuring Rigor, developing a culture of Ownership and one where we Speak-up to reach the best possible technical and product decisions.
While experience with computational science software development and management is a plus, it is not required. The successful candidate will be an effective manager who can motivate teams, manage activities to deliver quality software, build the right culture, and nurture effective relationships across organizations. A desire to learn and grow oneself while motivating and mentoring a young, high-performing team is a must.
The main responsibilities will include:
- Day to day management of engineering personnel - keeping the team motivated, carrying out performance assessments workload management etc.- to maintain a highly-attractive work environment
- Developing and maintaining effective relationships with peers and staff across the entire company to deliver capabilities on time and on budget
- Coordination of teams spanning engineering, product management and design, management of risk and prioritization and tracking of software development activities to ensure delivery
- Hiring and onboarding of highly talented team members to meet the needs of the fast growing company while maintaining a strong team culture.
Key qualifications we are looking for in the successful candidate:
- At least 2-3 years experience managing software development teams. Experience with computational science software development is preferred, but not required.
- Familiarity with software development practices for enterprise software. Familiarity with scientific software development for the cloud is desired but not required.
- Project and program management experience using Atlassian tools for tracking activities is required.
- Experience with relationship building skills across the 360 - with direct reports and staff across organizations, peer leaders in other organizations and leadership.
- Experience and ability to effectively prioritize activities to manage risk and predictably deliver on commitments
- Experience managing high performing teams - hiring high performing team members, onboarding new team members, ensuring an engaging and inspiring work environment and building a team culture centered on company values.
The successful candidate will be working with a team of outstanding computer scientists and computational scientists looking to build a transformational product. Our mission is to democratize and modernize high-performance computing for commercial engineering & science, i.e. automotive, aerospace, consumer products, food & beverage, etc., a $20+ billion technology market. This is a great opportunity to get into an early-stage company and play a key role in developing features for the general availability version of our product that will launch next year.