Business Development Representative
Full Time Permanent
We’re LumiQ – an audio-first professional education platform for CPAs. We help CPAs get their continuing professional development (CPD) hours through engaging podcasts with business leaders (the CFOs of Slack, Shopify, Yelp, Yahoo!, TD Bank, and Wealthsimple just to name a few). CPD/CPE is the yearly required learning that CPAs generally dread doing. They’re tired of dealing with boring webinars, irrelevant content and product experiences that are out-of-date. That’s why they’ve flocked to LumiQ and our mission to make professional learning enjoyable.
With hundreds of companies signed up, we’re at the precipice of launching a global movement that’s going to massively change the professional education and podcasting industries. Following our recent Series A, we’ve expanded into the US market and are seeing wonderful early signs of traction.
Despite our lightning growth, we tend not to subscribe to the mantra of “move fast and break things.” Our goal is to build a profitable company, where our employees can learn and grow, and where customers see real value and genuinely enjoy using the product. We are building a company meant to last, and if this resonates with you, we hope you will consider joining us on our journey to transform professional education!
As part of our growing sales team, you’ll be responsible for researching, prospecting and sequencing our potential clients to book calls for our Account Executives. Sequencing includes emails, cold calls and other forms of messaging and communication to our potential customers.
Through our 1 year BDR program, we’ll teach you everything you need to know about starting your career in sales. By learning how to consistently book meetings and develop a pipeline, you’ll be able to succeed in the world of SaaS sales and take part in the amazing opportunity the industry provides. Provided your successful in this role, at the end of the 12 month program, you’ll transition to an Account Executive role with the company and be responsible for the full-cycle sales process.
● You’ve shown a past interest in sales – whether that was in a summer job, a side hustle or negotiating with your parents over an extended curfew.
● You hate to lose; you’re highly motivated, with a competitive personality.
● You have a strong mental fortitude (i.e. you handle rejection well). You can motivate yourself and you want to succeed no matter what.
● You’re a strong and confident communicator.
● You want to learn, and you take feedback well.
● You don’t make spelling or grammar mistakes in emails
● You are good at prioritizing and can focus on more than one thing at a time
● You’re naturally curious about random things, and you can pick up new skills and software quickly
If you think your experience is most of the way there we’d still love to meet you!
Please note this is a flexible hybrid role based out of Toronto, Canada. Employees will be expected to be able to commute to the office for some team and company-based activities.
Benefits and Perks
● Health Benefits after 3 months with us, including a yearly health spend account
● Access to an Employee Assistance Program if needed
● Monthly team social events (Super Smash Bro party, hot chocolate bar, Blue Jays game, Hot Ones Challenge are just a few examples of what we have done in the past)
● Schedule flexibility. We know our employees have lives outside of work and don’t mind if you need to run to a mid-day doctor's appointment or pick up a kid early from school!
● Nomad policy: Work remotely 4 weeks of the year from anywhere in the world
● Office space at one of Canada’s most well-regarded startup accelerators—OneEleven (Front and John Street) which includes ping pong and foosball tables, monthly learning events, and a great opportunity to grow your personal and professional network with dozens of other startup folks in the space
● The chance to work with the world-class investors behind us, including Jean Desgagne, former CEO of GES at the TMX, Joel Lessem, Founder & CEO of Firmex, Neil Wainright, Founder and CEO of Nexonia, and Dennis Bennie, one of the Founding members of the Creative Destruction Lab.