Scientist II / Senior Scientist, Proteomics
South San Francisco, CA
Protein Biochemistry /
At Lyterian Therapeutics, we are committed to developing medicines for patients in need by co-opting physiologically-relevant protein homeostatic mechanisms to regulate genetically-validated targets.
As Senior Scientist, Proteomics you will be part of a highly collaborative, interdisciplinary team, and will be responsible for characterizing proteins and protein complexes relevant to our protein homeostasis drug discovery platform and programs. You will design assays, drive innovative technologies, and lead projects using mass spectrometry-based proteomic studies to inform and streamline early-stage research and clinical discovery programs. By collaborating with chemists, biochemists, biophysicists, structural biologists, bioinformaticians, and molecular biologists, you will uncover the cellular machinery that participates in chemically-induced protein homeostasis and define the fundamental biology that drives therapeutic efficacy.
We look for team members who are inspired by our mission and want to work in a collaborative, rigorous, and entrepreneurial environment. We seek colleagues who are self-motivated, innovative, proactive, and possess an innate curiosity to discover novel biology and new drugs. Efficient time management, excellent organizational and communication skills, and passion for high-quality, translational science are essential.
Impact You'll Make:
- Lead, design, execute, and interpret projects to study proteins and protein complexes using mass spectrometry-based proteomics approaches
- Establish and lead a cutting-edge, on-site proteomics facility and grow your group by hiring and mentoring team members
- Develop and implement robust workflows for sample preparation, LC-MS-based proteomics, and quantitative data analysis
- Collaborate with cross-functional research teams to design and execute proteomic and other biological mass spectrometry experiments and generate high quality data to progress drug discovery and development projects
- Provide or coordinate day-to-day instrument operation, maintenance, quality control and troubleshooting of Orbitrap mass spectrometers and nano-flow high performance chromatography systems (nHPLC)
- Serve as the scientific leader and subject matter expert (SME) in proteomics and mass spectrometry on multiple project teams
- Develop and contribute to our company's intellectual property (IP) domain by way of patents and/or publications, often as principal author
- Stay up-to-date with emerging scientific literature and share your ideas liberally, present and actively discuss data
- Collaborate and communicate across a diverse scientific team to successfully progress Lyterian goals
- PhD in Chemical Biology, Proteomics, Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics or related discipline with 3-5 years of relevant postdoctoral or industrial experience
- Experience using mass spectrometry-based approaches to examine protein-protein interaction networks and post-translational modifications, with a proven track record of solving bioanalytical problems
- Experience with chemoproteomic techniques and identification of site-specific small molecule modification of proteins using mass spectrometry
- Experience with quantitative proteomics, including techniques such as SILAC, SRM, TMT, label-free quantification approaches, ABPP, IP-MS, etc.
- Expertise with both DDA and DIA acquisition techniques and analysis of large scale proteomics data using commercial and open-source software tools (Proteome Discoverer, Skyline, MaxQuant, etc…)
- In-depth knowledge and demonstrated proficiency in operating nano LC-MS and Orbitrap-based MS systems is required
- Develop and execute high-throughput proteomic characterization assays for recombinant and endogenous proteins, including intact mass analysis. Experience with affinity selection mass spectrometry (ASMS) screening technologies is a plus.
- Knowledge of protein degradation mechanisms and in particular the biochemistry of ubiquitin ligases
- Evidence of scientific excellence and impact as illustrated by scientific publications and presentations
- Initiative and boldness to dive into a fast-paced new startup
$130,000 - $165,000 a year
We encourage candidates of all levels to apply as there is often flexibility on job title and responsibilities. Compensation will be based on a variety of factors, including experience, qualifications, internal equity and location. Lyterian offers a competitive employment package that includes an annual bonus, significant equity, and a generous benefits package including comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for our employees and their families, plus a 401K match.
At Lyterian, we believe that a diverse, open, and inclusive environment and culture is key to our success. We will not be influenced in recruiting, hiring, promoting or any other employment practices by race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical or genetic condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Lyterian will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable laws.