(Senior) Laboratory Manager
South San Francisco, CA
At Lyterian Therapeutics, we are committed to developing medicines for patients in need by co-opting physiologically-relevant protein homeostatic mechanisms to regulate genetically-validated targets.
This is a great opportunity to join our growing team (20+ employees) as a (Senior) Laboratory Manager and play a critical role in the day-to-day operations of our labs by supporting the development of lab systems and infrastructure of a growing biotechnology company. This position will work cross-functionally with our research and development teams, facilities partners, and external vendors to ensure a safe and efficient working environment.
As the (Senior) Lab Manager, you will be a collaborative and service-oriented individual passionate about developing processes to drive operational excellence within our lab spaces while maintaining a high bar for safety.
We look for teammates who are inspired by our mission and want to work in a collaborative, rigorous, and entrepreneurial environment. We seek candidates who are self-motivated, collaborative, proactive, and possess a strong desire to discover novel biology and new drugs. Efficient time management, excellent organizational and communication skills, and passion for high-quality, translational science are essential.
Impact You'll Make:
- Maintain lab consumables inventory by conducting weekly counts, checks, procuring lab supplies, and adjusting inventory requirements to meet demand. Keep storage areas clean and organized.
- Uphold environmental, health and safety compliance and conduct routine safety inspections of all lab spaces.
- Ensure the laboratory is organized and safety standards are exceeded.
- Provide support on day-to-day operational requests that arise from research teams.
- Provide strategic direction, technical supervision, and support to the lab services team that supports day-to-day operations.
- Optimize processes within the lab to create efficiencies and drive continuous process improvements.
- Manage and maintain chemical inventory in conjunction with Chemistry and Biology department.
- Manage accumulation, storage and disposal of Biohazardous Waste and Hazardous Waste. Work with EH&S as needed.
- Maintain cold storage strategy, organization, and inventory of frozen samples.
- Collaborate and communicate across a diverse scientific team to successfully progress Lyterian goals.
- Optimize the layout and organization of laboratory spaces to enhance efficiency and workflow.
- Collaborate with compound management to maintain plasmid and protein stock inventory.
- Manage equipment usage schedules and ensure best practices for equipment.
- Manage media preparation and other lab services to include but not limited to glassware washing and autoclave operation.
- Develop and oversee SOPs for equipment, instrumentation, and laboratory operations.
- B.S. or higher, preferably in Life Sciences or Engineering.
- 3-6+ years lab management experience.
- Demonstrated experience in asset and inventory management systems.
- Experience working with external vendors, including outreach, scheduling, and downtime planning.
- Must be highly organized, have a sense of urgency & disciplined about completing duties and assigned tasks on time.
- Knowledgeable regarding general building facilities.
- Excellent attention to detail and time management skills required.
- Ability to lift up to 30lbs and stand/walk for extended periods of time.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently, communicate clearly, work within departmental groups, and to build open and collaborative relationships.
- Initiative and boldness to dive into a fast-paced new startup.
$105,000 - $150,000 a year
The expected base salary range for this role is $105,000 - $125,000 for Lab Manager and $125,000 - $150,000 for Senior Lab Manager level.
We encourage candidates of all levels to apply as there is often flexibility on job title and responsibilities. Compensation will be based on a variety of factors, including experience, qualifications, internal equity and location. Lyterian offers a competitive employment package that includes an annual bonus, significant equity, and a generous benefits package including comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance, gym access, for our employees and their families, plus a 401K match.
At Lyterian, we believe that a diverse, open, and inclusive environment and culture is key to our success. We will not be influenced in recruiting, hiring, promoting or any other employment practices by race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical or genetic condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Lyterian will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable laws.