(Senior) Scientist, Biophysics
South San Francisco, CA
Protein Biochemistry /
At Lyterian Therapeutics, we are committed to developing medicines for patients in need by co-opting physiologically-relevant protein homeostatic mechanisms to regulate genetically-validated targets.
As (Senior) Scientist, Biophysics you will be responsible for characterizing proteins and protein complexes relevant to our protein degradation drug discovery platform and programs. You will design assays and support projects using biochemical and biophysical approaches, including surface plasmon resonance (SPR), Spectal Shift / TRIC, DSF, Mass Photometry, and more to provide hit-to-lead and mechanism of action studies to early-stage research and discovery programs. By collaborating closely with protein biochemists, structural biologists, cell biologists, and medicinal chemists, you will uncover fundamental biology behind induced protein degradation.
We look for teammates who are inspired by our mission and want to work in a collaborative, rigorous, and entrepreneurial environment. We seek candidates who are self-motivated, collaborative, proactive, and possess a strong desire to discover novel biology and new drugs. Efficient time management, excellent organizational and communication skills, and passion for high-quality, translational science are essential.
Impact You'll Make:
- Support projects to study binding interactions between small molecules and proteins / protein complexes / protein aggregates using biophysical approaches, including surface plasmon resonance (SPR), Spectral Shift / TRIC, DSF, and Mass Photometry
- Design, optimize, and implement medium to high-throughput biochemical screening assays, including HTRF, TR-FRET, fluorescence polarization (FP), DSF, and SPR for filamentous/fibrillar/amyloidogenic proteins, kinases, and proteases
- Collaborate closely with chemists and engage in cycles of structure-based drug design (SBDD)
- Develop and contribute to company's intellectual property (IP) domain by way of patents and/or publications, often as principal author
- Stay up-to-date with emerging scientific literature
- Collaborate and communicate across a diverse scientific team to successfully progress Lyterian goals
- PhD in biophysics or related discipline with 3+ years of relevant postdoctoral or industrial experience; master's degree in biophysics or related discipline with 8+ years of relevant industrial experience
- Experience with biophysical and biochemical experiments to characterize small molecule - protein / protein complexes / protein aggregates interactions (such as surface plasmon resonance (SPR), Spectral Shift / TRIC, DSF), and/or with functional assays, preferably in vitro ubiquitin (Ub) ligase system assays
- Ability to independently design, optimize, and implement medium to high-throughput biochemical and biophysical screening assays
- Knowledge of protein degradation mechanisms and in particular the biochemistry of ubiquitin ligases is a plus
- Experience studying challenging classes of proteins, such as ubiquitin ligase proteins or proteins that form pathological aggregates is a plus
- Skills in construct design, protein production and purification, with demonstrated application and creativity in all aspects of protein design, production, isolation, and characterization
- Evidence of scientific excellence and impact as illustrated by scientific publications and presentations
$115,000 - $160,000 a year
The expected base salary range for this role is $115,000 - $145,000 for Scientist and $130,000 - $160,000 for Senior Scientist level. We encourage candidates of all levels to apply as there is often flexibility on job title and responsibilities. Compensation will be based on a variety of factors, including experience, qualifications, internal equity and location. Lyterian offers a competitive employment package that includes an annual bonus, significant equity, and a generous benefits package including comprehensive health, dental, and vision insurance for our employees and their families, plus a 401K match.
At Lyterian, we believe that a diverse, open, and inclusive environment and culture is key to our success. We will not be influenced in recruiting, hiring, promoting or any other employment practices by race, color, citizenship status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical or genetic condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state and local laws. Lyterian will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities, in accordance with applicable laws.
Note to External Recruiters: Submission of unsolicited resumes prior to an agreement set in place does not create any implied obligation.