Los Angeles CA or New York, NY
M13 – Propulsion /
Founded in 2016 with offices in Los Angeles (HQ) and New York, M13 is a consumer technology venture capital firm that invests in the brightest founders, building the future of consumer behavior in work, commerce, health, and money. Three operating team members power M13’s Propulsion Platform for every investing team member- our founders get access to deep operational expertise, tech tools, and a community that helps them build faster and better.
Messier 13 (or M13) is one of the brightest star clusters in the Northern sky. It’s full of remarkable individual stars, and when those stars come together, they create something greater than the sum of its parts. We at M13 contribute to our collective success by being brighter together.
Community is one of the four pillars of M13’s values and is the core of everything we do to create an ecosystem of #BrighterTogether. We believe authentically valuable connections among founding teams and investors will foster portfolio engagement, quality deal flow, and other active contributions to the M13 community.
To help build and engage M13’s ecosystem, we are excited to hire a Community Manager who will own and execute our Community Strategy, deliver M13 Founder Summits, create and nurture critical connections across founders and leaders inside and outside of M13’s portfolio, and build an active and meaningful M13 constellation to provide value to our portfolio.
What you’ll be doing (alongside our team):
- Develop and deliver a Community Strategy and programming plan for the benefit of the portfolio, in line with supporting our founders’ most lofty goals
- Plan and execute upon M13 Founder Summits in our inaugural year of delivering this highly bespoke and curated series for our founders
- Build and manage relationships with key luminaries, industry leaders, corporates, sponsors, and other groups of value to the portfolio
- Identify and activate the right audiences to engage with our portfolio and create and support value-additive programming
- Drive M13 brand advocacy across multiple channels
- Oversee all community events in collaboration with our Community Coordinator and various M13 teams (e.g., Investing, Go-To-Market, Talent)
- Deeply understand the portfolio needs and provide strategic support via the power of the M13 community (e.g., introductions to potential customers, partners, consultants, experts, etc.)
- Collaborate with our Propulsion (platform) team to weave community into our strategic and operational portfolio support across pillars including Brand, Talent, Product, Go-To-Market and Data
- Identify and build relevant partnerships and sponsorship opportunities with key partners in the venture ecosystem
- Represent and evangelize the M13 brand and Propulsion (platform) across the VC & startup ecosystem to drive engagement and adoption across our broader community on behalf of our portfolio
What you’ll bring to this role:
- You have experience convening great communities of startup founders and other ecosystem players.
- You know the venture capital industry and believe in the benefit of community to founders building the companies of tomorrow.
- You know how to deliver a transformational experience - you know how to curate the crowd, the vibe and the content for a valuable and unforgettable event.
- You are an engaging communicator who can effectively make deep and long-lasting connections among our portfolio founding leaders' teams and our broader network of industry leaders, founders, experts, and co-investors.
- You can strategically connect the dots across the M13 community to bring value to our portfolio, supporting our companies' growth.
- You enjoy building repeatable and scalable systems and processes yet recognize that human connection is the heart of effective communities.
- You are an agile, responsive, and adaptable teammate.
- You place high importance on transparency and communications, share progress in a highly dynamic environment, and can easily juggle competing deadlines while remaining self-sufficient and attentive to detail and accuracy.
- You are an operator at heart - willing to roll up your sleeves with collaborative helpfulness - and like to have fun and enjoy working with people in real life.
- You love spending time with people and building community and meaningful connections that have a lasting and long-term impact.
- You believe in the power of community and its role in empowering the growth of great companies built to last.
What’s in it for you:
- One Team, One Dream: A chance to work alongside world-class VC talent in a collaborative and developmentally-focused culture that is respectful, inclusive, diverse, and inspiring. You’ll do your life's best work here and have fun doing it.
- Investment in Your Future: Employees are also eligible for an Employee Profit Sharing Program and 401(k) Retirement Plan with matching for all employees.
- Comprehensive Health Package: Medical, dental, and vision plans that are thoughtful and supportive of the needs of each M13 employee
- Open PTO Policy: We're focused on healthy work-life balance and, therefore, set no firm guidelines regarding how much time off each employee is permitted to take
$115,000 - $145,000 a year
Actual compensation within this range will depend upon the candidate's skills, experience, qualifications, and level of impact in the role.
Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend only to apply when they check every box. If you have what it takes but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to chat and see if you could be a great fit.
M13 provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We deeply understand the value of bringing together a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.